• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

A Sad Story

seneca

Reaction score
I won't mention any names or locations in this story. It is about our hobby and how it can get out of hand in some cases and maybe ( I stress " maybe" ) even some shady practices on the part of some players.
This past May a good friend of my wife's ask her to help in planning a party for her husband's retirement from Chrysler, after 40 years on the line, in July. I had met the man several times but only a " Hi, how ya doin' " type of thing. Tragically, he had a heart attack in June and died.
In early September she called and asked if I would assist her with a problem she has with an old car that her husband had in a body shop being restored at the time of his death. We met at her house and she explained that he owned a 72 Plymouth Road Runner/ GTX that he bought new. The car had been setting in storage for many years when he decided to have it restored. She had called the shop where the work was being done and asked them to halt work till she could deal with it after the funeral. She started by explaining that her husband had picked this shop for reasons known only to him ( it is three states away from Michigan ). The shop had taken photos as the work progressed and she had them on her phone. As I looked at them, I noticed the car was in OK shape with some rust but nothing out of the ordinary for Michigan winters and salt. It appeared to be about 75% finished. It is a 440 with auto trans on the column. I noticed the date on the first picture was March of 2014. I asked if these dates were correct and she said they were. My first thought was " three and a half years in a professional restoration shop... and they're not done yet???". She handed me a stack of invoices about 3/4" thick with cancelled checks attached. I'm looking at checks for $10,000, $15,000, $20,000.... Do you have a total on all this, I asked. She handed me an adding machine tape for $391,000!!!!!!
She said the owner told her that there was another $40,000 owed for work already done and if she wanted the car finished it would be and additional $29,000. At this point I told her that if this car turned out PRISTINE it's market value is MAYBE $45,000. Unfortunately her husband is not here to tell us his thoughts on this. I advised her to seek legal advice but the constant flow of checks kind of points towards her husband's approval of what was going on. I hope we can work this out for her as it is an unfortunate burden.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I’d love to know the name of the shop and where it is, you should try and find that out and publish it along with this story.

budascuda

Reaction score
Yes it's wise not to mention any names until all the dust settles through the courts, otherwise one would have a defamation suit on one's hands. But afterwards, the name of the shop ( if found guilty of any wrong doing) should be plastered on all automotive related forums in all the states and territories, well, maybe not in Puerto Rico!

Last edited:

seneca

Reaction score
I’d love to know the name of the shop and where it is, you should try and find that out and publish it along with this story.

I know the name of the shop and it's address Matt, but for the time being I'm not going to broadcast it. I will wait to see how this all turns out.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
That’s a good move, I was just so steamed after reading that story that I wanted some immediate action.:mad:

budascuda

Reaction score
One more thing, the one thing that everyone seem to overlook, the man worked on the line for chrysler all his life,. I don't think anybody who worked for gm or ford could afford a 391K restoration job!.
Now, that's class when you can spend your money like there is no tomorrow.

aussiemark

Reaction score
My thoughts were that because he worked there he would have the knowledge and ability to do a lot of the work himself with the exception of the basic rust repair and bodywork so it makes this shop seem even more criminal.

budascuda

Reaction score
Cam on! He was bent on spending the money before he was gone!

seneca

Reaction score
Thought you all might be interested in how this situation was resolved. The widow has signed the car over to the restoration shop and they cancelled the last invoice that was pending.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
So a crime was still committed and they’re getting away with it, what’s the name of the shop?

340challconvert

Reaction score
That was the goal of that shop owner all the time; to have the car signed over to him knowing the gravy train was drying up after the death of the owner!
Did I see $391 K in payments? Outrageous
For that kind of money layout, I would still seek legal advice for a possible law suit.
Dino2 (1).gif

seneca

Reaction score
I advised the widow to seek legal counsel on this which she did. As I had mentioned earlier, the constant flow of payments over the years indicated a form of concurrence with the work being done and the fact that there was no signed contract stating an amount and therefore no legal recourse is available. As the old saying goes, " Let the Buyer Beware!" She is obviously disappointed with the whole outcome but relieved that it is finally over and she can move on with her life without this situation hanging around. Matt, I'll get back to you later on the company.

aussiemark

Reaction score
If I owned the shop once the bill got around 100k I'd be working on it for free and finish it as quick as possible while wondering what is wrong with me/my staff and changes would be made.

Back