• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 E heater control valve w/ac

iaff801

Reaction score
Hi all, still fairly new to this so bear with me. I recently picked up a 70 Challenger RT/SE and have spent the last 4 days working on it. The next thing up is the heater control valve, heater hoses. The person who installed the last valve had high hopes for the #6 screw holding it to the inner fender, LOL. As you can see in the pics, its barely hanging on. Corroded also. My first concern is that I see two different valves being used. One is a black plastic unit and then the Four Seasons one that is on my car. Was the plastic one the first edition? And maybe too many of them broke and they went to the Four Seasons model? Right now I can only get the metal one. Just like to know for my own interest. Then second, can someone send me a pic of where this style unit is mounted? As you can see, mine is not ideal. I want to replace the heater hoses but would like to have it installed correctly first. Thanks in advance

20241003_094747.jpg

20241003_094756.jpg

Screenshot 2024-10-03 100616.jpg

Screenshot 2024-10-03 100649.jpg

water valve.jpg

NixDad

Reaction score
The plastic and 'bakelite(?)' versions were the Originals...they can be found but most are for other car models and the valve may open in the opposite direction (pull vs push) as the one for an E-body. They do crack.
The one you have now was a replacement.

moparleo

Reaction score
Correct about the plastic one. The valve was the same for a few models but the metal cam slot was a different ratio.
Many people were sold heater valves for the wrong model and the valve would not fully open or close.
The metal are a much cheaper and a better functioning unit.
I will attach a picture of the passenger inner fender mounting holes for reference. Enjoy.

E BODY INNER FENDER HOLE ID PASSENGER.jpg

iaff801

Reaction score
Correct about the plastic one. The valve was the same for a few models but the metal cam slot was a different ratio.
Many people were sold heater valves for the wrong model and the valve would not fully open or close.
I will attach a picture of the passenger inner fender mounting holes for reference. Enjoy.

View attachment 129795
Excellent! Thanks

iaff801

Reaction score
Excellent! Thanks

View attachment 129795
Moparleo, Is the bracket shown in your picture for only the plastic version or can it be used with the metal valve also. Or does the metal valve just get bolted in the same area?

Back