• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1973 Challenger Aftermarket LED Headlights?

Tmac

Reaction score
Hello all,

New to the site.....thanks for the add. I'm here for my Dad, as he's turning 80 and not a computer or smart phone person. He has a 1973 Challenger and he'd like to add LED Halo headlights to his car to have brighter lights. Yes, he's old school to the 10's and a chrome guy, but wanting better lights and he likes the newer Challenger look of the headlights. What he doesn't want is to have to cut and modify to get them to work. I've looked at Oracle 5 3/4" H5006 lights online and I've gotten yes they'll work and may require some rework from talking with people. Chick with a Cuda added some to her car.......I asked in her post I seen them in, but no response yet and I personally don't know if the buckets would be the same as her Cuda.

Anyone else with true experience with any aftermarket LED Halo headlights that could help. I don't have a lot of pics of the car, but here's one from 2015.

Perhaps a person can get different buckets "cheap" to rework if that's the only thing that may need done.

Thanks!!!

IMG_1719.JPG

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Holley has Led retro lights that fit the original mounts , you can also use glass reflectors such as Cibie &add H4 Leds

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
For better lighting the first step is to install a headlight relay circuit. The connections and switches degrade over time and use. Check the foot dimmer sw , headlight plug connections and the bulkhead connectors That is an easy fix and will make a better connection.

The diagram below is an in general diagram. The connections need not be a at the bulkhead connector. The connections can be pick up at one of the headlight plugs. The relays can be mounted by the battery or what works for you.The power should be connected to the load side of the amp gauge or directly to the alternator stud with overload protection. Doing this way is the least invasive way.
There are other things that should check but this is the big one. Everyone wants brighter headlight and they think "I'll just put in a higher wattage bulb". The wiring can not handle it for a long time. I myself have 1 and only 1 100 watt Aircraft landing light on the passenger high beam side. Believe me that's all that is needed. It is on a relay circuit. There is a 300 watt but it will set the road side on fire.

1726142964124.jpeg

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
All the information you should need are in these threads.
There are more threads over there as well.

bc3j

Reaction score
I used info from Daniel Stern lighting and use Kioto reflector housings with H4 hi/lo and H1 high beam Tungsram +120 bulbs along with Crackedback’s headlight rely wiring harness. His wiring harness is assembled with top quality parts and his workmanship is excellent. Lighting is excellent and I used a factory alternator and have no dimming of headlights at idle.

Back