• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1973 Challenger Need Info Hood and Tailpanel

MoparMoMoney

Reaction score
I’m currently at a standstill because I don’t have the hood or tail panel emblems for my 1973 Challenger Ralley 318 all #s matching.
As well am knew to this body so slow process. This forum has helped immensely.
Any help would be appreciated.
But the way my tail lights are of course textured argent but look light not medium and definitely not sure about Dark or Medium Argent.

IMG_4227.jpeg

IMG_4226.jpeg

IMG_4334.jpeg

1972 AAR Cuda

Reaction score
Just painted and reassembled the tail panel on my 74;

IMG_8913.jpeg

The lights were kind of a pain to detail, but came out pretty good...

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Are you asking about the DODGE letters (front center) and the engine callouts for the hood? Vans Auto has the DODGE letters for the Hood and Tailpanel.
Were you planning on installing 340 FOUR BARREL emblems to fill the holes by the scoops?
D O D G E hood emblem 001.jpg
D O D G E hood emblem placement Page 001.jpg

D O D G E hood emblem placement Page 002.jpg

BriceRoad

Reaction score
Your car and your garage look great!! I wish I had a garage like that. To piggyback on what MoparCarGuy said I believe you could get the rally hood on a '73 318 Challenger but there wouldn't be any call out emblems. Don't forget to put the black out behind the grill (if you want to).

MoparMoMoney

Reaction score
Just painted and reassembled the tail panel on my 74;

View attachment 126474

The lights were kind of a pain to detail, but came out pretty good...
That’s what I thought as well. Wasn’t sure the direction I should go because dark looks good, but isn’t what it came with. Been seeing originals today in searches just as you have done.

MoparMoMoney

Reaction score

MoparMoMoney

Reaction score
Your car and your garage look great!! I wish I had a garage like that. To piggyback on what MoparCarGuy said I believe you could get the rally hood on a '73 318 Challenger but there wouldn't be any call out emblems. Don't forget to put the black out behind the grill (if you want to).
Ah then I’m not sure what to do on the hood callouts as they say. Blackouts as in paint right? It’s sorta black now, but your saying the whole inset?

BriceRoad

Reaction score
Not the insert but the radiator support and a small part of the fenders behind the grill. Here is a pic for my car ('70 Barracuda). I am assuming it would be similar for a Challenger. When my car got painted (22years ago) I didn't know about the blackout and I always looked at the front of my car and I was saying to myself something doesn't seem right, but what? Well, I found out years later thanks to the internet. When I took my car apart due to engine failure one of the many things I wanted to rectify was to add the grill black out. I carefully sprayed it with spray paint because that's how the factory did it. However, on a '73 Challenger there isn't as much see through space as there is on my car so it probably doesn't make that much difference. Here is a pic I took at the Mopar Nationals in 2022.

7412233-blackout.JPG

IMG_7815.JPG

Last edited:

BriceRoad

Reaction score
As for the call outs maybe you can have someone make up something that says 318? They can do a lot with 3D printers these days.

MoparMoMoney

Reaction score
Not the insert but the radiator support and a small part of the fenders behind the grill. Here is a pic for my car ('70 Barracuda). I am assuming it would be similar for a Challenger. When my car got painted (22years ago) I didn't know about the blackout and I always looked at the front of my car and I was saying to myself something doesn't seem right, but what? Well, I found out years later thanks to the internet. When I took my car apart due to engine failure one of the many things I wanted to rectify was to add the grill black out. I carefully sprayed it with spray paint because that's how the factory did it. However, on a '73 Challenger there isn't as much see through space as there is on my car so it probably doesn't make that much difference. Here is a pic I took at the Mopar Nationals in 2022.

View attachment 126550

View attachment 126551
Oh yeah now I see what you mean. Thats exactly how I did do it but left overspray thinking that may have been typical.

1972 AAR Cuda

Reaction score
Yes the Dodge emblems and thank you. But the hood, they don’t make emblems for my 318? Maybe just challenger?
A question: I am not sure of the answer, but maybe some one else has the answer - Could you get the performance hood on a 318 in 1973 or 1974? My 74 318 Challenger came with the flat hood, but I also have a dual scoop hood without emblem holes... I am not aware of any stock 318 emblems (other than maybe the V8 emblems on fenders). Could you order a dual scoop hood on a 318 car? I also know the dual scoop hood provided additional air cleaner clearance for four barrels, but that might be a side benefit for aftermarket (taller) intakes...
On the Plymouth side my 72 340 (Barracuda - not Cuda) came with the dual scoops, but did not have the 340 four barrel emblem or holes, but not being the original owner, I can't say it came that way from the factory...
Comments?

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
A question: I am not sure of the answer, but maybe some one else has the answer - Could you get the performance hood on a 318 in 1973 or 1974? My 74 318 Challenger came with the flat hood, but I also have a dual scoop hood without emblem holes... I am not aware of any stock 318 emblems (other than maybe the V8 emblems on fenders). Could you order a dual scoop hood on a 318 car? I also know the dual scoop hood provided additional air cleaner clearance for four barrels, but that might be a side benefit for aftermarket (taller) intakes...
On the Plymouth side my 72 340 (Barracuda - not Cuda) came with the dual scoops, but did not have the 340 four barrel emblem or holes, but not being the original owner, I can't say it came that way from the factory...
Comments?
Correction: The performance hoods were optional for 318 Challenger/Barracuda starting mid-production 1970. 318 cars with this option had no emblem-locating holes on Barracuda or Challenger. EDIT: The Challenger J54 - Sport Hood was never offered on 318 cars. Only Challengers with 340 or larger engines could receive the J54 hood and always had engine size callouts.

Cudas with 340 for 1970-1973 got the `cuda340 emblems. Cudas with 360 for 1974-only got the `cuda360 emblems.

Maybe someone else can fill in details on whether a BH - Barracuda could option a 340 engine for each model year. I know there are JH - Challengers that did get 340 engines in the A66 package at least for some years. Others on this forum have expert info on which years a base Challenger could get a 340 engine.
Those answers would assist in determining if a 340-equipped base model Barracuda or Challenger would need to option the performance hood separately and get engine callout emblems or not.

1970 Power Bulge hood offered on all model Barracudas with J45 Hood Pins mandatory.
1970 Plymouth Bulletin Hood Availability pib 7 pg1.jpg

Last edited:

S Vicious

Reaction score
Comments?
73 and 74 Rallye (N54) code option came with power bulge hood as standard.
Many 318 Challengers (Like Mine) out there.

MoparMoMoney

Reaction score
Comments?
Good points all around. So I’ve seen both setups as well, no knowing if factory for Rallye or not but as you state it could be for 4 Barrel as is my setup now but was probably a 2 barrel from factory. Why Instate that, my intake in a offenhauser 4 Barrel. I’m finding several variances with these cars. Crazy

MoparMoMoney

Reaction score
73 and 74 Rallye (N54) code option came with power bulge hood as standard.
Many 318 Challengers (Like Mine) out there.
Thank you for that answer. So now what to do with the emblem holes. A suggestion was 3D print but that wouldn’t represent and neither would using the 340 Emblem. I would hate to plug weld those holes after I just painted it. Good grief for my build.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Someone either made these or PhotoShopped them. Not factory but does represent your engine if you are running a 4BBL.
1720413398460.png

1972 AAR Cuda

Reaction score
Someone either made these or PhotoShopped them. Not factory but does represent your engine if you are running a 4BBL.
View attachment 126587
I went looking for an aftermarket solution like this, but never found one online - personally I would go with this option if you can. Where did you find this?
I found a couple decals, but this looks better, if it's available somewhere or somehow...

Back