• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 to hemi converson

Aussie-cuda

Reaction score
Ok so I'd like to upgrade my 440 in my 73 barracuda,I'm thinking of building a 426 hemi but hemi parts are hard to come across in aus,or putting stage v heads on a 440??also if any1 knows what else is needed for the conversion,any info and opinions would be great.
Thanks regards Matt

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
The Stage V conversion is about the best out there. The 440 block can be used witha little modification. Other than eye appeal, you can get equal power with the 440 unless you are going to go allout on the build, but it sounds like you want to do something with a reasonable budget. There is no inexpensive way to properly build a Gen 2 Hemi.

The Stage V conversion is a complete kit, less the machine work required on the block. It will allow you to use just about all Factory Hemi parts except fo the rocker arms, which have been upgraded in the conversion.
Let your wallet be your guide.

http://www.stagev.com/pages/hcheads.html

Adrian Worman

Reaction score
Because of the availability of genuine Hemi engines in the UK a couple of well known road cars here have used this conversion. The engineering is very good, the engines make very good power and are probably a little more reliable than an original Hemi. One has been circuit raced for years and is still running very strongly despite being 2 decades old.
Remember they're alloy to start with and are a premium perf casting. I don't think it's a poor choice at all, a basic conversion here will set you back about £5k, around $8k in your language

moparleo

Reaction score
Matt,
If go with this, you will not be disappointed in performance and reliability. However since the only part that you will use from the 440 is the block, the actual bill from carbs to oil pan will be close to the cost of a crate Hemi. 8 bolt forged crankshaft, rods, special Hemi pistons, Special camshaft and lifters, Stage V valvetrain parts, upgraded oil system with external oiling, intake, carbs, ignition, headers. It will add up quickly. Contact Stage V at the address I sent you and you can get upgraded info on this conversion. Like Adrian said, it has been around for over 20 years and has had the bugs worked out of it.
If I had the $$ I would do it myself. Good luck, which ever way you go.

Aussie-cuda

Reaction score
Hmmmm if it's going to be the cost it's prob worth building a real hemi,I'll contact stage v and get a price and go from there.
Thanx for the info

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I agree , great conversion but you do need hemi pistons , you can use a 440 or stroker crank as well , the block oil pump & pick up & maybe the crank is all you can use though .

Adrian Worman

Reaction score
That's a good point............ stroker crank and you'll have at least enough displacement to make full use of those heavy breathing heads.
A Hemi with a torque curve to shame a 440? Perfect combination by the sound of it!
All this talk of Stage5 heads has got me excited, I need to lie down : )

Challenger340

Reaction score
The Stage V conversion heads for 440's require alot of work, been there, done this many times for Customers.
Not that Eric's packages/Heads aren't good..they ARE !

Just that the work required these days, with HEMI's available, IMO, just aint worth it.
here's just a few things to consider;
* Oil drainback lines run externally back to the pan, must be routed safely.
* Custom Camshafts(exhaust ratio is only 1.44 as opposed to 1.52 for REAL Hemi's)
* Lifter Valley clearancing for the HEMI Valvetrain/Pushrod Geometry gets dicey to water if you don't know what you are doing, NOT for first timers.
* You still have a stock 440 2 bolt main block, which even with the "conversion" Heads, can easily exceed even the small 440's happy place ?(forget the stroker)

Back