• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Aftermarket distributor install question

DonB

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to this forum. I was hoping maybe to get a little help.

I am installing an MSD distributor in my 1973 Challenger. Originally a 318 car, converted to 440 6-pack and about 500hp. Originally had the 318 distributor in, but the increase in HP leads me to believe I will need more spark, so I have purchased the upgrade.

I know I need to run full 12V to the new coil on the Ign. 1 circuit (hot on start and run). The question I have is what color is Ign. 1 wire, and what can I eliminate when doing this install. Through the process of elimination, and as far as I can tell, I can remove the ECM and its wiring, but I find that the voltage regulator and the ballast resistor are tied into some of the circuitry. Can anybody tell me what wire is Ign. 1, and how I go about dealing with the resistor and voltage regulator? I'm afraid that if I just start eliminating things that are "inter-wired" I will lose some functionality or the charging circuitry from the alternator.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Here's a few diagrams to start. So your new. Go to the welcome wagon introduce yourself and post a few pictures.
1724801740809.jpeg
1724801933814.jpeg
1724802377510.gif

Last edited:

DonB

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I have seen some diagrams like this but didn't exactly match what I have.

Based on your diagram, it appears that Brown is Ign. 2....correct? I also need to know what I can and can't eliminate between the Resistor and the Voltage Regulator. Any thoughts there?

As regards the welcome page, I will hit that once I get a little time to dream up an exaggerated description!

Again, thanks for the help,

Don

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Dark blue is run ing 1 Brown is start ing 2 only has power when ing sw in start position to proved 12v to coil when starting.

DonB

Reaction score
Dark blue is run ing 1 Brown is start ing 2 only has power when ing sw in start position to proved 12v to coil when starting.
Based on that, I would need to run both blue and brown to + side of coil....correct? One for start power and one for run?

Back