• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

AM Radio - Silly Question ??

WhiteGP

Reaction score
My 70 Cuda U Code has an all original interior ( with factory leather buckets ) I have the original working 2 watt AM radio ( two buttons on left ) . As many of us know, there are VERY few AM radio stations out there anymore and in my area ZERO, so I cruise around town with a speaker in the back hooked to my ipod. It works well and it plays the music I like. I am considering putting a newer am/fm unit in the car but would like an opinion from the community if you would do this or not ? I know there are a few other options out there but the difference between $30 and $$$$$ makes me pause.

I have the car to cruise in and an Occasional car show. I know this is subjective but ??? Theres someone out there that makes an MP3 interface to the AM radio but I lost the link ? Daves ?? it hooked in between the cars antenna and the radio, tune to 1000, all set. it was $150 but I lost the link

Thanks

IMG_2848.JPG

Last edited:

Xcudame

Reaction score
Just get a modern Kenwood stereo and mount it in the glove box. Very few people use the glove box for gloves. It's just a catch all for misc. "stuff".

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
My car was a radio delete, I did a hidden amp & a usb connection for phone or USB to play tunes Radio sucks anyway .

WhiteGP

Reaction score
Just get a modern Kenwood stereo and mount it in the glove box. Very few people use the glove box for gloves. It's just a catch all for misc. "stuff".
I didn't think about the glove box !, good idea

bc3j

Reaction score
Probably not the best in audio quality, but I use a iHome small Bluetooth speaker that I rest between the console and the passenger seat and stream Sirius XM through my iPhone. This is similar to mine because I don’t think they make my model anymore.

IMG_5810.jpeg

Moparply

Reaction score
That radio from Classiccarstero does not look like the original Chrysler radios. It’s only 3” deep vs the 9” deep on the originals.

Very different in appearance from the originals.

They are listed for $865 not including sales tax. Total with tax $925!

WhiteGP

Reaction score
That radio from Classiccarstero does not look like the original Chrysler radios. It’s only 3” deep vs the 9” deep on the originals.

Very different in appearance from the originals.

They are listed for $865 not including sales tax. Total with tax $925!
Thanks, yea $925 for a radio that does not look original is silly, better off with a $30 walmart unit :) I'm going to just run a small bluetooth speaker with my ipod for now, I'ts just a weekend cruiser anyway Sad AM has gone almost non-existent

Thanks

Mopar426power

Reaction score
The radio does have a factory appearance from the front, not many people crawl under the dash to look at the back.......

WhiteGP

Reaction score
The radio does have a factory appearance from the front, not many people crawl under the dash to look at the back.......
thats good to know, yea not worried about the back. still debating on keeping original am installed or putting an aftermarket in, honestly i can keep the am around and enjoy fm while cruising, i bought the car to drive and enjoy, Putting an FM in the glove box or remote mounting somewhere is still an option also

Huskidrive

Reaction score
Send your AM out to be restored/converted......https://retroradio.biz/

Mopar426power

Reaction score
Pics installed. Never tried AM, FM work good but I pretty much use Bluetooth to my phone all the time. It announces texts and takes phone calls like any other Bluetooth radio.
IMG_5397.jpeg
IMG_5396.jpeg

Back