• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Anyone still make patch panels?

bluegill

Reaction score
Year One used to have all kinds of smaller patch panels, lower doors, fender patches, hood hinge inner fender patches, etc…. But about the only patches I can find are the hood hinge area. Does anyone make lower outer door patches any more? I have just a small bit of rust in the usual spot at the front of the door, rest of the door is straight and solid. I’d like to salvage the rest of the door if possible. I’ve tried the usual suspect, AMD, Goodmark, Year One, etc… and can’t find anything. I even tried searching Year One for the part number from an old catalog, but nothing.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Support you local HVAC metal shop. They make duct work they can pretty much make anything. At one time I worked for a company installing furnaces. It just amazed my how quick and good they were. I pickup a few things there. I can't count how many times I went there and they are more than happy to help. They do carry sheets of automotive metal. If you can wait a little bit they do get it done in a week or two. Such as a furnace part I want made out of stainless. It cost me $800 but I will never have the problem again. Funny thing was the part from manufacture was about the same. I always take my stuff to them long before I need it. I took it in in April and said if I have it before the snow fly's I'm good. They had it done in June.
Give it a try.
Irwin Vise-Grip 8 Inch Locking Pliers/Sheet Metal Clamp (8R #23) | eBay

Last edited:

Adam

Reaction score
Just make one… grind thru the skin along the edge and use a cut off wheel for the rest… use the old piece as a template for the patch. I use a wet rag to cool the metal when it gets hot to avoid warpage when cutting, and when stitch welding in the new piece.

The skin is just folded over the inner structure, easy to do, but easy to f-up. Clamp the edges down hard and work slowly. If you don’t have the tools you could use body panel adhesive along the edge and glue a similar strip along the back side. That stuff is incredibly strong and will also keep water out of the gap.

F5EB7A17-9AC4-4CBD-AEA2-733F75D0778C.jpeg

953F7E15-DDF3-40C1-9F41-113D164A8D1E.jpeg

Last edited:

bluegill

Reaction score
Yeah, that’s about where I am. I have to skin the driver side door so I’ll use the old sheet metal from that door for patches if possible.

Back