• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Charging system confusion

V12T

Reaction score
My ammeter and voltmeter suddenly went hard right and I'm trying to figure out why. I've seen a previous thread but my issue seems to be different. I've watched countless videos on alt and vr testing but still non the wiser. I have two alts. On the bench with the field direct to negative I get 15-17 volts on each measured output to alt casing. Put them in the car (still field direct to negative and vr bypassed) and I get 30-40 volts at the alt measured the same way. I have left the charge wire off to avoid frying the ammeter circuit. If I connect a fused wire from alt output to battery it blows a 30 amp fuse so multimeter is correct. I bought a new vr. Across terminals was 1.7 ohms. Now it's 0.69 ohms so I've probably fried it? Two old ones I have each read 9kohms so I guess these are useless. Earths and bulkhead connectors all good. Almost battery voltage at field. Are my alternators and vrs all broken? It seems a simple circuit but clearly isn't. I'm lost!

Back