• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Clean Black Console, Paint it with SEM Color Coat Process, or BOTH?

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
My 70 black console is original and has a very, faint appearance of what appears to possibly be dark red primer overspray. The console lid is much better.
Pictures show the problem pretty well. Nobody has ever commented on it but I see it so I want to make it look the best it can.

I searched the forum but do not see any info on cleaning the console or any how-to info on spraying it with the SEM Color Coat process. Looking for options.
I also need confirmation that the console is made of ABS plastic so I can consider how to go about restoring it.

My questions...
1. What product would be best to clean the console and remove the dark red tinge? I would expect to start with just soap/water and move to something more aggressive but need ideas.
2. If cleaning does not get rid of the problem, what are your thoughts on spraying the entire console and lid? Durable? Worth the effort?

Console Red Overspray Issue (11).JPG
Console Red Overspray Issue (7).JPG
Console Red Overspray Issue (5).JPG

Console Red Overspray Issue (13).JPG
Console Red Overspray Issue (6).JPG

Last edited:

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Found this info on the Interwebs...

Cleaning ABS Plastic​

• Use mild soap and water to wipe down ABS plastic surfaces. Avoid harsh chemicals that could interact with the material.
  • For tough grease or grime buildup, isopropyl alcohol effectively cleans ABS without risk of damage.
Anyone used alcohol to clean E-Body trim parts like a console?

Steve340

Reaction score
I believe I have seen that red tinge in my console also. I think that it is a colour "coming" out in the make-up of the plastic.
I would not use a solvent in case it goes wrong.
A gentle wash then a good quality plastic protectant.
Don't fix what ain't broken.

floyd

Reaction score
I’d probably leave that alone as well. However, if you’re sure it’s overspray, full strength EasyOff oven cleaner is usually safe to use for removing paint on plastic and rubber. I would test it on a small area on the underside first.

I think you’ll have to do the whole console if you decide to go the SEM Landau Black route. I haven’t used it on a console but my 70 Challenger dash pad came out fantastic with the SEM stuff. Sorry, I can’t offer any best techniques for spraying it since I had a local shop do it.

mrmopar340

Reaction score
Sand free primer works excellent for adhesion on plastic when you are redoing panels and consoles. I did my car that way 15 years ago with those little prevail sprayers and it worked really well. I went to James T. Davis paint store and got everything I needed there. They mixed the paint for me as well.

heminut

Reaction score
I did the door panels in my Cuda about 20 years ago and they still look great, no peeling or fading. I thoroughly scrubbed them with Simple Green and water and rinsed really good. When they were totally dry I sprayed them with SEM Adhesion Promoter;

and then sprayed with SEM Vinyl Color in the spray can.

mrmopar340

Reaction score
I did the door panels in my Cuda about 20 years ago and they still look great, no peeling or fading. I thoroughly scrubbed them with Simple Green and water and rinsed really good. When they were totally dry I sprayed them with SEM Adhesion Promoter;

That's what it was. I think I had the name wrong. It's excellent.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
I believe I have seen that red tinge in my console also. I think that it is a colour "coming" out in the make-up of the plastic.
I would not use a solvent in case it goes wrong.
A gentle wash then a good quality plastic protectant.
Don't fix what ain't broken.
I am going to try a good cleaning with a small fingernail brush and Dawn dishwashing liquid. If that does not do it, then moving to test out Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA). Will test in an inconspicuous area first. I will let everyone know the results when I finally take out the console to do this.
I am modifying the AUTO console to a 4-Speed console and installing a TKX 5-Speed so the console has to get out of the way. :lol:

don selleck

Reaction score

sixpactogo

Reaction score
Like Heminut in post 6, I used the SEM products and they still look like new after 20 years. Mine were black so I used the SEM Vinyl Prep and cleaner & Landau black. There is nothing out there that is better IMO.

100_1738.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score

Hi Heminut: I find your post quite interesting. My original 73' Challenger Rallye plastic door panels are pretty grim. Do you have any suggestions on how to repair small dings prior to painting the panels?

Back