• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Correct bolts for hood latch - 70 Barracuda

Mesmerized63

Reaction score
I'm trying to get rid of these chrome bolts but not sure what bolts should have been used. Can someone tell me what the factory correct bolts were and where I can get them from?

Thanks.

bolt.JPG

pschlosser

Reaction score
What you have isn't horrible. But yea, I think they should be black phosphate.

According to my notes, the OEM bolt(s) holding the striker (and fang) is a SEMS bolt, that is a bolt and washer combo, where the washer spins freely and doesn't really come off the bolt. A 1/4-20 x 3/4-inch SEMS bolt, with an unthreaded (pilot) tip and self-tapping (paint cutter) threads, in oiled iron phosphate finish.

The head often contains an image of a boat anchor:

1721459740157.png

Last edited:

Mesmerized63

Reaction score
What you have isn't horrible. But yea, I think they should be black phosphate.

According to my notes, the OEM bolt(s) holding the striker (and fang) is a SEMS bolt, that is a bolt and washer combo, where the washer doesn't really come off the bolt. A 1/4-20 x 3/4-inch SEMS bolt, with an unthreaded (pilot) tip and self-tapping (paint cutter) threads, in oiled iron phosphate finish.

The head often contains an image of a boat anchor:

View attachment 127199
Great information, any idea where I can get these?

pschlosser

Reaction score
Great information, any idea where I can get these?

Swap meets, ebay, even boards like this, where used parts are sold.

It may take a while. I've been looking for a correct 4th (I lost one) front bumper bracket to frame bolt on my barracuda for over a decade. Very, very specific OEM original bolts can sometimes be really (if not impossible) to find.

Until then, those "hex washer" bolts you have may look less conspicuous, if you darken them or get them looking similar to the original powdery dark brown-black iron phosphate coating. Even spray painting them flat black, may be better than the Zinc-Blue they are now.

Mr Cuda

Reaction score
@pschlosser. First I'm hearing about it.
If you are having a hard time, early production, with the loose toothed washer? Or toothed or smooth kep bolt?

Bolts, bolts and more bolts.
Unfortunatly, mailing bolts sucks cost wize, as it goes as a small package.
Minimum $6
VHS flat rate box is $10.
Sent bolts to someone free, and never even got a thank you.
@Mesmerized63 i think your in florida. Furthest possible distance.
I have run all, (well not all) throught a vibrator tumbler, after solvent cleaning.
I have saved every bolt from every part out for 40 years.

Mesmerized63

Reaction score
@pschlosser. First I'm hearing about it.
If you are having a hard time, early production, with the loose toothed washer? Or toothed or smooth kep bolt?

Bolts, bolts and more bolts.
Unfortunatly, mailing bolts sucks cost wize, as it goes as a small package.
Minimum $6
VHS flat rate box is $10.
Sent bolts to someone free, and never even got a thank you.
@Mesmerized63 i think your in florida. Furthest possible distance.
I have run all, (well not all) throught a vibrator tumbler, after solvent cleaning.
I have saved every bolt from every part out for 40 years.
I would take 10 of them, just let me know price for bolts and shipping :)

sixpactogo

Reaction score
The factory used 1/4-20 X 5/8" bolts with a 5/8" captured washer. I don't think anyone makes them. Auveco makes a lot of hardware but not much for Mopar.
About the closest they come is their part number 24177. It is a 1/4"-20 X 3/4" with a 3/4" captured washer. That is what I use for a replacement. The washer is a little bigger but I don't have any 100 point cars so not a big deal for me. Here are a couple pics for comparison and a link to an ebay site selling 50 of them.
Other than that, I can probably come up with a few of the correct ones.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266806318493?

100_1663.JPG

100_1664.JPG

Mr Cuda

Reaction score
First pictures are anchor and a odd marking from a 71. The clean one was painted with the hood loup, which is corrrect. I wire wheeled the paint off.
The safety catch are phosphate coated which can become rust hazy.
Second picture has a variety of markings, including "sems" which seems to be prevelant on L.A. built cars.

20240720_204002.jpg

20240720_121348.jpg

Mesmerized63

Reaction score
The factory used 1/4-20 X 5/8" bolts with a 5/8" captured washer. I don't think anyone makes them. Auveco makes a lot of hardware but not much for Mopar.
About the closest they come is their part number 24177. It is a 1/4"-20 X 3/4" with a 3/4" captured washer. That is what I use for a replacement. The washer is a little bigger but I don't have any 100 point cars so not a big deal for me. Here are a couple pics for comparison and a link to an ebay site selling 50 of them.
Other than that, I can probably come up with a few of the correct ones.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266806318493?

View attachment 127240

View attachment 127241
OK, thanks for the information. I'm not worried about them being 100% correct, just looking to replace the chrome bolts with something that looks more original to the car.

Mesmerized63

Reaction score
First pictures are anchor and a odd marking from a 71. The clean one was painted with the hood loup, which is corrrect. I wire wheeled the paint off.
The safety catch are phosphate coated which can become rust hazy.
Second picture has a variety of markings, including "sems" which seems to be prevelant on L.A. built cars.

View attachment 127250

View attachment 127251
OK, thank you. I'm going to order some of the ones that sixpactogo mentioned in his post to see how they fit/look.

Back