• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

CRANK PULLEY ORIENTATION

Weldguy

Reaction score
Never too old to learn. I replaced the Harmonic Balancer on my '70 440 engine today. When I was degreeing the engine, I noticed the TDC mark on the original vibration damper was nearly 1/4" off. I have since read that, with age and heat, the bond in the construction of the vibration damper can fail. Under the right conditions, it can even come completely apart.

I didn't realize until after running out of swear words, that the mounting holes of the crank pulley are NOT symmetrical. So, I placed the pulley on the old damper and rotated it until the holes alll lined up. Then, I made a mark on the pulley where the crankshaft keyway is located. That made orientating the pulley correctly easy to do.

I thought this would save someone else the aggravation I had today.

Crank Pulley.jpg

mrmopar340

Reaction score
Never too old to learn. I replaced the Harmonic Balancer on my '70 440 engine today. When I was degreeing the engine, I noticed the TDC mark on the original vibration damper was nearly 1/4" off. I have since read that, with age and heat, the bond in the construction of the vibration damper can fail. Under the right conditions, it can even come completely apart.

I didn't realize until after running out of swear words, that the mounting holes of the crank pulley are NOT symmetrical. So, I placed the pulley on the old damper and rotated it until the holes alll lined up. Then, I made a mark on the pulley where the crankshaft keyway is located. That made orientating the pulley correctly easy to do.

I thought this would save someone else the aggravation I had today.

View attachment 126353
Torque converters same way. We always rotate to find a bolt and a shot of paint on the bolt head and torque converter makes everything easy to line back up. I bet you could do the same on the crank pulleys too.

Weldguy

Reaction score
Torque converters same way. We always rotate to find a bolt and a shot of paint on the bolt head and torque converter makes everything easy to line back up. I bet you could do the same on the crank pulleys too.
Except it was a new harmonic balancer.

73-Cudah2

Reaction score
Oh I didn't mark mine after pulling it. i sand blasted it and repainted it. I'll have to check how it lines up. I have not cleaned up my harmonic balancer yet I did mark that. Thank for the information.

Weldguy

Reaction score
Oh I didn't mark mine after pulling it. i sand blasted it and repainted it. I'll have to check how it lines up. I have not cleaned up my harmonic balancer yet I did mark that. Thank for the information.
If you haven't installed the balancer yet, take a couple of minutes to orient the holes with the pulley holes before installing it. I marked the pulley so it lines up with the keyway of the balancer when the holes line up.

73-Cudah2

Reaction score
Wow I seem to have 3 posable positions for the pulling to fit on the balancer. I did try the bolt on all 3
and the work. I'll have to do some more digging, Thanks Weldguy.

Weldguy

Reaction score
Wow I seem to have 3 posable positions for the pulling to fit on the balancer. I did try the bolt on all 3
and the work. I'll have to do some more digging, Thanks Weldguy.
Check every hole... there were a couple of times I thought everything was good, but one hole was just a bit off.

Back