• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

E-Body Convertible rear speaker placement?

TripleBlk70

Reaction score
Question for convertible owners: where/how do we fit rear speakers in these cars? I had a 70 challenger hard top in the past, so dropping a couple 6x9's in the back package tray was a no-brainer. This is my first convertible and I want to fit it with a decent sound system, hoping for 4 speakers, with two of them in the back.

Any advice is appreciated, and pics would be awesome.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Just some thoughts on speakers in a convertible. I would suggest never cutting the rear quarter interior panels; they are hard to find and even repros are expensive. I got lucky, someone started to outline speaker holes in mine back in the day but did not follow through.
They did however cut the kick panel and fit speakers there. These panels are easier to find so not as valuable. Also, it is also easier to hear the music with the top down with the extra speakers in this location IMO.
Difficult to put speakers in the back well area where the convertible top stores when down.
Other thoughts on this; possible speakers set under the front seats facing to the rear, small boxed speakers to be set on the back seat. You could put speakers in the trunk which could be heard when the top is up or very muffled with the top down.
Personally, I would put speakers in the kick panels.
Just my thoughts

TripleBlk70

Reaction score
So I found this pic of a car 1970 challenger convertible that sold @ Mecum earlier this year.

First, the idea of kick panel speakers is a great one and I was already planning on doing that. My last project was a 55 chevy and I fabricated some kick panel mounts from ABS that I had my interior guy finish to match the rest of the car. Here's a link to a google album in case anyone's interested in seeing that project.

I really want a decent sound system and to me that means at least 2 speakers in front and 2 in back. I think I can probably make 2 6x9's work like the ones in the photo below.

I know there's a place for a 4x10 in the dash, and depending on what amp I use I might put one there too. I have a 10" powered subwoofer in my 55 chevy and would like something similar here, but need to see how that will fit in the trunk.

1722646323505.png

pschlosser

Reaction score
I really want a decent sound system and to me that means at least 2 speakers in front and 2 in back. I think I can probably make 2 6x9's work like the ones in the photo below.

Go ahead. Cut up your rear interior convertible panels. And put some big fat speakers in there. You may evade the discovery most convertible owners learn, top up or down, the sound quality ain't that great. And not worth the holes you put in them panels.

TripleBlk70

Reaction score
Go ahead. Cut up your rear interior convertible panels. And put some big fat speakers in there. You may evade the discovery most convertible owners learn, top up or down, the sound quality ain't that great. And not worth the holes you put in them panels.
LOL, thanks for your opinion.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
What condition are your rear panels? Mine are good other than the speaker holes so maybe we should trade even up.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Just from the comments it should tell you what should be done. Just like cutting a sunroof in a convertible it will diminish the value.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
And good luck ever trying to replace them once you regret cutting them. Even aftermarket ones are out of stock at a lot of places. This becomes even harder yet if yours are a colored interior.

Litchkar

Reaction score
I bought kick panels with speakers installed. I also bought a dual channel dash speaker for my convertible. It does get loud with the top down. I would never cut the rear panels, but that’s because I am not a rich man lol.

Katfish

Reaction score
What about just mounting them behind the back seat.
Back in HS we added 12" woofers in a Hyundai.
With enough amplifier, speakers behind the seat could work.

We could get a back massage with those 12's thumping with a 1000W Rockford Fosgate amp. Wonder if they still exist.

Or better yet, what about in the seat........

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I don't have a pic of my car when I had the speakers in it. I used speakers like these. I made brackets and mounted them on the top of the back seat. They looked like headrests. I attached them under the boot strip on the seat. Since they didn't have a lot of range I added a couple of subs in the trunk to round out the sound. I cut rear panels in 1980 to mount 6X9s. I found that you hear both sides of the speaker. The boot on helps a little with sound. Any speakers with a large magnet would hit the top pistons when mounted. These speakers are similar to what I used. You can clear the top and use the boot with them mounted.
414wq1hdEoL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

TripleBlk70

Reaction score
The car came with a pristine black interior, plus an extra console and some extra (not as nice) door panels.

I get what people are saying about not cutting up the panels for what might be minimal sound quality gain. I've never owned a convertible so this is a first for me, and I'm thinking about configuring an "all front speaker" setup between dash speakers and kick panel speakers, plus a powered subwoofer in the trunk (which I will do no matter what).

I will probably start there and see how it sounds, because that's the least invasive option and I can make kick panel speaker mounts myself. I can always cut the back panels later and piss a bunch of people off.

pschlosser

Reaction score
In a convertible from this era, if you want sound fidelity, top up or down, I recommend a nice set of headphones and you're there. Again, do as you will, OP, with your convertible interior rear panels.... wait... wait. I got me an idear 💡

I recommend a trade. There are many out there with barracuda convertible interior rear panels with speakers holes in them, that would welcome a chance to trade, straight across, at no cost to you, your set for their set...

Then you can knock yourself out puttin in them thumpin speakers with less loss to mopar humanity.

terrywalker

Reaction score
In a convertible from this era, if you want sound fidelity, top up or down, I recommend a nice set of headphones and you're there. Again, do as you will, OP, with your convertible interior rear panels.... wait... wait. I got me an idear 💡

I recommend a trade. There are many out there with barracuda convertible interior rear panels with speakers holes in them, that would welcome a chance to trade, straight across, at no cost to you, your set for their set...

Then you can knock yourself out puttin in them thumpin speakers with less loss to mopar humanity.
Unfortunately the Challenger and Barracuda rear panels are different but there are lots of Challenger ones that have been cut like DeMatt1's.
Terry W.

Avalanche

Reaction score
I have a 70 challenger vert.
What I did was to put a sub (bazooka) in the trunk, took the center speaker out and installed 2 tweeters and reinstalled the speaker cover, put mids in the kick panels, and put box speakers under the front seats (speakers face backwards to rear).
You need the early seat tracks that don't have the wire going from one track to another. Also have the amp in trunk.
Sound is great.

larry4406

Reaction score

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Larry's got it.
Use another pair for the speaker holes or find a pair that has them cut already.
Just use those and put up your nice ones until you are ready to either use them or sell them. It's pretty easy to find a pair that has holes cut into them.
250 is a great deal, well worth that cost.

Back