• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Flex plate

Jerry Ikemire

Reaction score
Hi guys. I searched 10 pages and couldn't my answer...to a very simple question at that!😖 Stock flex plate on a 318. I wasn't the one that removed it so I never got to see which way it went. Does the "dished" face go towards the crank or the torque converter? I know...not mentally taxing for you guys but my mind is getting feeble and I get easily distrac...oh look, a squirrel in the neighbor's yard!!!

68HemiRR

Reaction score
Hi guys. I searched 10 pages and couldn't my answer...to a very simple question at that!😖 Stock flex plate on a 318. I wasn't the one that removed it so I never got to see which way it went. Does the "dished" face go towards the crank or the torque converter? I know...not mentally taxing for you guys but my mind is getting feeble and I get easily distrac...oh look, a squirrel in the neighbor's yard!!!
The dished side goes toward the crankshaft.

Scan_Pic0063.jpg

Tig

Reaction score
I always thought they only went on one way due to the offset hole ?

Xcudame

Reaction score
For the holes to all line up, it really only goes on one way like Tig suggested since it's not a symmetrical pattern.

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and put the flexplate against the converter before you install and see how the holes line up. All the holes only line up one way. Once you find that mark the bottom of the flexplate and converter so when you install the transmission you can line them up and get the bolts in the first time. There is nothing like the frustration of having to spin the converter/engine several times to see if they line up while you're on your back.

cudamark

Reaction score
I always thought they only went on one way due to the offset hole ?
Yup, except for the slant 6. I always wondered why they did that on an internally balanced V8 engine. Why not make it so it could go on any of the ways....both on the crank and converter?

Back