• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Help with letter in head casting number

Dreaser

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the letters after the numbers have any significance?
Thanks for any help!

IMG_9419.jpg

IMG_9420.jpg

Xcudame

Reaction score
I think it was a serialization of the different molds used to cast the head. In your example, mold "C" and "E(?)" were used. On blocks they used numbers like 2468130-6 for a 59-71 383. The "6" is the mold serial number. Realize they were casting hundreds of these every day for years. I think I remember Chrysler making over 3 million 383 blocks!

Xcudame

Reaction score
By the way, what we call "casting numbers" are actually engineering part numbers, but regardless it lets us identify parts. The main thing on a matching set heads is the casting dates are close to each other. Usually no more than a month (or two) apart.

Dreaser

Reaction score
I think it was a serialization of the different molds used to cast the head. In your example, mold "C" and "E(?)" were used. On blocks they used numbers like 2468130-6 for a 59-71 383. The "6" is the mold serial number. Realize they were casting hundreds of these every day for years. I think I remember Chrysler making over 3 million 383 blocks!
thank you so much!

Back