• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hood hinge issue for my '70 Challenger power bulge (sport) hood

70SunFun

Reaction score
I have an issue with my driver's side sport hood on the rear near the hinge is not flush with the fender when the hood is closed. It's about 3/4" above the fender. I've tried adjusting it and have had no luck. I did notice that the stamped bar riveted in the middle of the driver's hinge is 3" long but the "good closing flush with the fender" passenger hinge has a bar that is 4" long. Not sure if this is why I have the issue on the driver's side. The passenger side of the hood closes flush with the fender and there's no movement when the hood is latched which is perfect. Adversely, the driver's side of the hood in the rear near the hinge stays up about 3/4" above the fender when the hood is closed, and I have to push the rear of the hood down so that it is flush with the fender. When I'm driving and hit a bump, the rear of the hood eventually bumps up to that same 3/4" higher than the fender. It's very annoying. This driver's hinge was NOS when I bought it but I'm thinking it's not for a '70 Challenger sport hood? I've attached pictures of the hinges and of the hood closed from both sides for reference. The passenger side is fine but the driver's side is not. Any info would be helpful, thanks.

passenger hinge hood latched.jpg

drivers hinge hood latched.jpg

drivers hinge.jpg

passenger hinge.jpg

70SunFun

Reaction score
Hood hinges are adjusted the opposite of what you think. You raise the hinge to lower the hood. Also it looks like the driver hinge is mouted lower on the hood compared to the passenger side. That will also raise the hood.

Here is the link on E-body hood adjustments

What's the trick to lower rear of hood?!
Thanks but I tried mounting the hinge higher and still had the same issue. I tried it every which way to no avail.

70SunFun

Reaction score
Hood hinges are adjusted the opposite of what you think. You raise the hinge to lower the hood. Also it looks like the driver hinge is mouted lower on the hood compared to the passenger side. That will also raise the hood.

Here is the link on E-body hood adjustments

What's the trick to lower rear of hood?!
Thanks. I tried that and the hood is still up 3/4" when closed. I can grab the rear of the hood on the driver's side and physically push it down flush with the fender and also pull it up to 3/4" above the fender level. When I try that on the passenger side I can't move the hood up or down, which is good. I'm thinking I have an incorrect hinge?

Mr Cuda

Reaction score
Your drivers hinge looks to be a 73-4 style. My micrometer eye notices that the front bolt flange looks suspiciously like a B body. Find the hinge i.d. chart and confirm.
Raising the front of the hinge only, lowers the rear of the hood.

70SunFun

Reaction score
Your drivers hinge looks to be a 73-4 style. My micrometer eye notices that the front bolt flange looks suspiciously like a B body. Find the hinge i.d. chart and confirm.
Raising the front of the hinge only, lowers the rear of the hood.
Thank you. I'll try to find the hinge i.d. chart. I'm thinking the driver's hinge is incorrect for my car. I shouldn't be able to lift the hood up 3/4" and also push it down. The hood should stay in place when closed, I'm thinking.

70SunFun

Reaction score
When I bought the car in 2018 it had the 3/4" gap issue. So when I came across an NOS driver's side hinge for sale I bought it, thinking that would solve the problem. That NOS hinge has the same 3" long riveted bar in the middle of it and is exactly the same (3" long riveted bar) as the one that was on it when I bought it. That's why I'm thinking it's the incorrect hinge because both of them yield the same 3/4" gap.

sixpactogo

Reaction score
There are people on this site that are in the opinion that these hinges do not wear out but they are mistaken. E body hoods are long and heavy. I too had the trouble with my hood lifting at the rear always needing to be pushed down after a drive. What really happens is the rivets wear out and enlarge the hole requiring a rebuild after 50 years of opening, closing, and being jostled. After having mine rebuilt, I could no longer push the hood down or pull it up once properly adjusted and closed.
One thing I noticed with your left side hinge is that the short angle bracket appears to be in a different position than the right side does. To me, it looks like someone made an attempt at rebuilding it and messed it up if that is possible. Maybe it is not correct for E body. Either way it does not look correct to me. I sold my Challenger so have nothing to compare it to.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Litchkar said:

i found these instructions on Restorations by Rick's website. I used them and solve my issues:

Front to rear adjustments are on the hood side area of the hinges.
Up & down adjustments are on the inner fender area of the hinges.
Side to side movement is controlled by the latch positioning and fender side bumpers.
On rare occasions the side position has to "tweaked" by a push on the rear of the hood to the side, causing slight bending of the hinge arms.
The front height is controlled by the bump stop studs with the rubber caps.

A common alignment problem on E-body & 71-up B-bodies is with the rear hood edge being up too high with the hinges being adjusted all the way down on the inner fender.
This is an adjustment problem! Start by moving the hinge up on the inner fender. (yes, up!)
Then, loosen the 2 rear bolts and leave the front bolt snug. Now lift the hood to make the hinge rotate (as viewed from the side). Retighten the rear bolts and check the fit. This procedure will get that tail to come down. Adjust the front-to-rear dimension on the hood side bolts.
It can be frustrating and take some time, but these hoods will fit correctly! I’ve installed them with the hood sitting about 2 1/2" above the fender...using this method, the hood was fitting perfect in a few minutes!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Loosening the bolts & over lifting the hood works , it takes 2 people so raise the front of the hinge while keeping the rear low pulls the hood down more .

70SunFun

Reaction score
There are people on this site that are in the opinion that these hinges do not wear out but they are mistaken. E body hoods are long and heavy. I too had the trouble with my hood lifting at the rear always needing to be pushed down after a drive. What really happens is the rivets wear out and enlarge the hole requiring a rebuild after 50 years of opening, closing, and being jostled. After having mine rebuilt, I could no longer push the hood down or pull it up once properly adjusted and closed.
One thing I noticed with your left side hinge is that the short angle bracket appears to be in a different position than the right side does. To me, it looks like someone made an attempt at rebuilding it and messed it up if that is possible. Maybe it is not correct for E body. Either way it does not look correct to me. I sold my Challenger so have nothing to compare it to.
I agree that hinges do wear out due to the long and heavy E body hoods. What is strange is the driver's side hinge that was on the car when I bought it had the "lifting". So when I bought the NOS hinge which is identical to the one that was on it, I have the same lifting issue. Both hinges are identical, with the 3" long center brace bar. The passenger side hinge has a 4" long center brace bar and works perfectly fine, no movement and aligns with the top of the fender. Thanks.

70SunFun

Reaction score
Loosening the bolts & over lifting the hood works , it takes 2 people so raise the front of the hinge while keeping the rear low pulls the hood down more .
Thanks. I've tried that a while back but will try it again. I'm just curious as to why the passenger side hinge has that 4" long center brace bar but the driver's side has a 3" long bar.

Back