• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

How to tell if I have original brake calipers?

Gumby

Reaction score
I’m pulling these off of my 1973 Challenger Rallye and I’m trying to get as much information as I can on them before I sell.
image.jpg

^passenger side
image.jpg

^driver side

Last edited:

tullm

Reaction score
@Gumby

I'm not as familiar with the 1973 Model year as I am with 1970 stuff. With that said, The KH88166 is correct for 1971 and probably later. I added a few yellow circles to your pic showing typical assembly date stamps. The casting date is the 69th day of some year I believe. The aforementioned yellow date stamp format is ddd y (if I recall correctly). Example: 080 2 would be the 80th day of 1972. Your brake hose might have a similar format date stamp as well (location circled in yellow as well).

The caliper mounting bracket appears to have a casting date of 2154 but I'm not 100% sure I'm seeing that correctly? 2154 I believe translates to the 215th day of 1974.

Some of the assembly date stamps can be very faint ... sometimes even a little rust can hide them. If your really curious start with a soft toothbrush or maybe a soft brass brush or 0000 steel wool. Never use sandpaper.

image.jpg

Gumby

Reaction score
@Gumby

I'm not as familiar with the 1973 Model year as I am with 1970 stuff. With that said, The KH88166 is correct for 1971 and probably later. I added a few yellow circles to your pic showing typical assembly date stamps. The casting date is the 69th day of some year I believe. The aforementioned yellow date stamp format is ddd y (if I recall correctly). Example: 080 2 would be the 80th day of 1972. Your brake hose might have a similar format date stamp as well (location circled in yellow as well).

The caliper mounting bracket appears to have a casting date of 2154 but I'm not 100% sure I'm seeing that correctly? 2154 I believe translates to the 215th day of 1974.

Some of the assembly date stamps can be very faint ... sometimes even a little rust can hide them. If your really curious start with a soft toothbrush or maybe a soft brass brush or 0000 steel wool. Never use sandpaper.

View attachment 128474
Thank you. Do you know anything about the driver side caliper?

tullm

Reaction score
Thank you. Do you know anything about the driver side caliper?
I'm sorry I do not have any knowledge on the other caliper. Regarding my first response, the 1970 E-Bodies also used a Kelsey Hayes caliper however the casting number was 80012 which leads me to believe your KH 88166 might at least be correct casting number for your year car but I don't think we can determine if it's original to your car without an assembly stamp. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can confirm.

Mr Cuda

Reaction score
You did not win todays lottery.
Your cailpers are 71-74 E or 71-2 B.
So it's safe to sell them for whatever the going rate for disc is.
The wavy galvanize splash sheids show them to be 73 up.
The 69 cast in number was confusing the issue.

Gumby

Reaction score
I'm sorry I do not have any knowledge on the other caliper. Regarding my first response, the 1970 E-Bodies also used a Kelsey Hayes caliper however the casting number was 80012 which leads me to believe your KH 88166 might at least be correct casting number for your year car but I don't think we can determine if it's original to your car without an assembly stamp. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can confirm.
image.jpg

I’m just not seeing any remnant of a stamp in the upper left corner of the caliper face. Do you think that ‘3’ on the bottom right represents the year while the ‘69’ is the day?

Gumby

Reaction score
@Gumby

image.jpg

The date stamp on the passenger side mounting bracket is definitely 2154. Are you sure it doesn’t mean the 154th day of 1972?

Gumby

Reaction score
The driver side mounting bracket is stamped 1572 for the date, I believe, and
L
A1
image.jpg

Anyone know what these stamps might mean?

tullm

Reaction score
"Do you think that ‘3’ on the bottom right represents the year while the ‘69’ is the day?" My best guess is the markings on the left and right have something to do with the foundry where they were cast but you could be correct. Sorry I'm outside my small, narrow zone of knowledge.

"The date stamp on the passenger side mounting bracket is definitely 2154. Are you sure it doesn’t mean the 154th day of 1972?" My assertion regarding the 215th day of 1974 is based on four digit casting dates on other parts but I could easily be wrong. Some parts use a 10,000 day calendar format but 2154 seems way too early for 1972 or 1973 model year.

Hopefully someone can give you better info than I can. @Mr Cuda knows this stuff way better than I do. I tend to search through lots and lots of threads searching for answers and then I forget after a month or so.

tullm

Reaction score
"The driver side mounting bracket is stamped 1572 for the date, I believe, and
L
A1"

'L' is Left side.
86170 casting number must have been used for a while, I see references to that casting number on some of the Dave Wise reports 1970 E-Bodies. The 1572 means it was cast the 152nd day of 1972

Back