• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Long time reader, first time poster from WV

Marty Milligan

Reaction score
I've been lurking for a while and figured that the break of a three day weekend would be a good chance to introduce myself. Evidently, I'm one of the dumbest people you will meet as I have three Challenger projects in different phases of completion. Here is my story...

About 25 years ago I came across a pretty pathetic example of my favorite car of all time, the '71 Dodge Challenger. It started life as a /6 coupe (fixed rear windows) with 3 on the floor and manual everything. At some point, the car was used for drag racing and big frame connectors and a roll cage installed. For some reason, it was put back on the street with a cheap white paint job, a 318 and 904 automatic. That was how I bought it. I loved that car and kept it at my parents place in PA. Every time I went there, that was the car I drove. Then in 2004, I was hiking and horseback riding in Idaho when I got a call that the town I garaged the car in was flooded. The car was a total loss with water up to the roof. I was heart broken and left it sit until last fall when I met a guy from WI that convinced me that the car could be rebuilt as a convertible with some factory parts and some reproduction parts that are made in tiny batches. So, I tore the car apart this winter and towed it to WI over the weekend of the 4th of July. Here is the photo album:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/105323124446588416639/albums/5970815163545021009
DSCN6667.jpg

When I was looking for parts for the 71, I realized how large the project was and how long it was going to take to finish so I kept an eye open for a car I could drive during this time. I was open to just about any cool Pontiac or Mopar but I guess it was inevitable that I would find a Challenger project since I was looking for Challenger parts. The car I found was a clean running driving car that had been freshened up once before. It's timing chain stretched so the owner did the obvious thing and ripped it apart for a total restoration including changing color from green to blue. After he did the body and paint, he ran out of bread and I picked it up. So far all I have done is had a four speed floor, frame connectors, and torque boxes welded in. I have piles of big blocks and four speeds to sort through for good cores to rebuild. Here is the photo album:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/105323124446588416639/albums/5965630165187210369
DSCN6431.jpg

About ten yeas ago, I found a rusty 340 automatic 73 Challenger. I planned on stripping it for parts. Then my Mopar friends found out that it was a double black, stripe delete, AC, and bottle cap & steelie car. They have been trying to get me to restore the car for a while. I think it is too far gone but I'm still working out the title issues and accumulating parts.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/105323124446588416639/albums/5999381169458077569
DSCN9574.jpg

Thanks for the read.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Great story, thanks for sharing it.

Back