• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

mini starter 130 tooth flywheel 440 suggestions!

Mopar Matt

Reaction score
Hello, this is my firstt post. I have a 440/512 stroker, just finished it and dyno'd it. It made 612 HP @5200 RPM and 655 Ft Torque @ 4600 RPM. I'm getting ready to drop it in and have ran into a mini starter issue. I have an early lakewood scatter shield it has holes for the 130 tooth 10.5 flywheel and the 143 tooth 11 inch flywheel. I got a new 130 tooth 10.5 inch flywheel from 440 souce, got it nuetral balanced, and ordered the adapter kit from Brewer's performance. I got some off set dowel pins and centered the bellhousing from Rob MC, and I've tried to pre install the starter and I can't get the proper clearance? The mini starter is the 440 source model 123-1000 It engages the flywheel and spins the motor, but I dont not have enough clearance to back the starter off, meaning in engages the flywheel but will not disengage. It just stay's meshed with the flywheel? I'm not sure if I need to shave some metal off the block or off the starter? Any help or suggestions on what type of starter to use or which way I should start grinding would be great. The block is a 1976 440 RV/Motor home block with the thick mounting ears.

Chally

Reaction score
Hello, this is my firstt post. I have a 440/512 stroker, just finished it and dyno'd it. It made 612 HP @5200 RPM and 655 Ft Torque @ 4600 RPM. I'm getting ready to drop it in and have ran into a mini starter issue. I have an early lakewood scatter shield it has holes for the 130 tooth 10.5 flywheel and the 143 tooth 11 inch flywheel. I got a new 130 tooth 10.5 inch flywheel from 440 souce, got it nuetral balanced, and ordered the adapter kit from Brewer's performance. I got some off set dowel pins and centered the bellhousing from Rob MC, and I've tried to pre install the starter and I can't get the proper clearance? The mini starter is the 440 source model 123-1000 It engages the flywheel and spins the motor, but I dont not have enough clearance to back the starter off, meaning in engages the flywheel but will not disengage. It just stay's meshed with the flywheel? I'm not sure if I need to shave some metal off the block or off the starter? Any help or suggestions on what type of starter to use or which way I should start grinding would be great. The block is a 1976 440 RV/Motor home block with the thick mounting ears.
I recently installed a parts store mini starter on a 440 with a 10.5" clutch and had to grind a bit of material off the block with a Dremel tool so that the starter would sit completely flat. I also used a terminal relocation kit to make it work.

Mopar Matt

Reaction score
I recently installed a parts store mini starter on a 440 with a 10.5" clutch and had to grind a bit of material off the block with a Dremel tool so that the starter would sit completely flat. I also used a terminal relocation kit to make it work.
Hi Chally, how much did you have to take off would you guess? We're you having the same problem as me? My mins starter will engage the flywheel, just having trouble disengaging from the flywheel. Did you use a stock bell housing or aftermarket scatter shield? -Matt

Chally

Reaction score
Hi Chally, how much did you have to take off would you guess? We're you having the same problem as me? My mins starter will engage the flywheel, just having trouble disengaging from the flywheel. Did you use a stock bell housing or aftermarket scatter shield? -Matt
I test fit the starter on the engine before installing it in the car so I never tried to start it in that state. I could see it was not sitting flat on the bellhousing. I put some thin tape on the block and mocked up the starter wiggling it around after it was loosely bolted up to see witness marks on the tape. Probably had to remove 1/16-1/8” in a few spots.

Chally

Reaction score
I test fit the starter on the engine before installing it in the car so I never tried to start it in that state. I could see it was not sitting flat on the bellhousing. I put some thin tape on the block and mocked up the starter wiggling it around after it was loosely bolted up to see witness marks on the tape. Probably had to remove 1/16-1/8” in a few spots.
It was an aftermarket bellhousing for a Tremec TKX.

Mopar Matt

Reaction score
Hi Chally, Thanks for getting back to me. I'm going to tackle it this weekend. I got my dremel ready!!! I'll let you know how it goes.

Back