• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New 440-6 Engine Break-in with TTI Headers

Cuda 440-6

Reaction score
I'm about to drop a freshly rebuilt 440-6 engine into my freshly restored '74 Cuda. I plan to use TTI Headers. The engine was blue printed and ran once when on the dyno tester.

Should I install the original Exhaust Manifolds and run the engine up to temp a couple of times before installing the TTI Headers? Can I run straight Manifolds without any Exhaust system connected, or do I risk damaging engine bay or inner fender wells?

Thanks for input . . .

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
There can be damage to the exhaust valves when running with out an exhaust. I used Manifolds and a short piece of flex exhaust pipe when doing break in. $15 at parts store. Don't need a tight seal for the pipe I just wired it on. What happens is after running and shutting it down. The in rush of colder air can bend the valves

mrmopar340

Reaction score
I'm about to drop a freshly rebuilt 440-6 engine into my freshly restored '74 Cuda. I plan to use TTI Headers. The engine was blue printed and ran once when on the dyno tester.

Should I install the original Exhaust Manifolds and run the engine up to temp a couple of times before installing the TTI Headers? Can I run straight Manifolds without any Exhaust system connected, or do I risk damaging engine bay or inner fender wells?

Thanks for input . . .
Run the manifolds. It will kill the coating on your headers if you break the engine in with them on. Don't ask how I know and I won't tell. 1200 bucks later...

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
What cam do you have ? Flat tappet hyd or solid needs to be run in at 2200 rpm + for 20 mins , , this may have been done on the dyno so if you are not doing that the headers will be fine , once the engne is fired up it needs to stay running so I would hope was already done , if the engine was shut down less than 20 mins in you could end up with cam damage .
Roller hyd or solid doesn't need to break in so the headers should be fine .
SO I would just use the headers .

Xcudame

Reaction score
I concur with Chryco, if it was dyno'd, it had to be run and properly broken in. So run the headers!

But the others are right for an engine that hasn't been broken in. A fresh break in typically runs rich (fast idle for 20 minutes) and will damage the header coating.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
Definitely break it in with the engine exhaust manifolds first. Then swap out for the headers.

Xcudame

Reaction score
If you use the exhaust manifold to get it running, use some kind of head pipe to dump the exhaust under the car! Especially if you have a nice detailed engine compartment!

Cuda 440-6

Reaction score
There has been a lot of great input from many of you. It's though that some say use Manifolds and some say use Headers right away because the engine was on the Dyno and broken in. Because of the split in opinions, I'm inclined to take the safe route by using original Manifolds and Dump Pipes. Better to be safe than sorry on a 10-Year finely worked restoration.

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
Post some pictures of your Cuda when you get a chance.

mayhem

Reaction score
So, a freshly rebuilt blueprinted 440+6? Did you build it? If no, have you spoken to the builder? Do you have data from the dyno? Have you spoken to them? I'm in agreement with both camps - if you need to break-in the engine, run the manifolds & head piping away from the engine bay. If the engine has been run-in to seat the rings, etc., then you can go straight to the headers. I'd make a couple calls rather than guess.

And YES, please let us live vicariously thru pictures of your 'Cuda!

Avalanche

Reaction score
There has been a lot of great input from many of you. It's though that some say use Manifolds and some say use Headers right away because the engine was on the Dyno and broken in. Because of the split in opinions, I'm inclined to take the safe route by using original Manifolds and Dump Pipes. Better to be safe than sorry on a 10-Year finely worked restoration.
Did you have a local builder do the engine?
I'm in Mass just south. Can you post the shop that did your build, looking for someone to rebuild my 440. Thanks

Back