• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

One Line Diagram Questions

Olacmot

Reaction score
Is there a more complete one line diagram than the service manual offers? I noticed a few discrepancies, such as missing indicator lights, and no reference to the headlight/lamp harness (engine side of terminals 10-14). I didn’t see any details in wiring adaptations either… I can only guess that it’s somewhat obvious what those terminals go to so maybe they didn’t list it?

Also, what does the first part of the naming convention for each circuit stand for? Is there a circuit list somewhere? Example, off terminal 14 of the instrument panel wiring, you have “L5-18R” for high beam indicator. What is the L5? I understand 18 is gauge and R is color red. L would lead me to think “lights” and seems obvious, but others don’t seem so obvious, such as M or J.

I’ve seen some nice colored schematics (especially from @Challenger RTA ) so I was wondering if there is more information somewhere I can should get that might help me more in the future.

Thanks for the help; just trying to understand my car to the deepest level possible (which might be quite shallow🙃)

IMG_7210.jpeg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
In short, pun intended this is what it would look like with all the circuits on one page. When I was aboard a Destroyer. I found the wiring diagrams for all circuits. I was in heaven.
1725987623280.gif

pschlosser

Reaction score
regarding missing wiring and systems, I count about 9 different wiring diagrams for my 1970 E-body in the Factory Service Manual:

1725991085275.png

You may need to consult them all to get a complete set of diagrams for your car. As far as I recall, ALL of the diagrams are there. It does NOT list diagrams for assembly components, such as the AM Radio or the Voltage Regulator. Power windows, for example, are an option and found in a different diagram than the main body wiring one.

Color coded diagrams are nice, but as you've already spotted, the circuit number helps you follow the circuit through the diagram. The format seems to be:

XNN-GGCC, where:

X is a letter, often the first letter of the group a circuit belongs to. L=lighting, W=window, H-horn, etc.

NN is a number, usually starting with 1. Each "circuit run" gets it's own number.

GG is, as you've noted, the gauge of the wire, and

CC is the wire color.

The color of the wire in a circuit can change (or reused in another circuit), so it makes sense the circuit number is listed first. This makes it easier when flipping pages between diagrams. For example, when troubleshooting a back-up light issue, I may follow the B2 wiring from the body diagram to the instrument one.

When I need to follow a specific circuit, and use the diagram in the shop as I troubleshoot, I prefer printing the pages I need in black and white, then using a highlighter to color the circuit in question. I find this much easier to follow than a full-color diagram.

Sitting at my computer, looking at the diagram on-screen, I must admit, the prefer the color diagram.

Last edited:
Back