• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

P/S turns by itself

Crewchief

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Barracuda with 340. The steering will turn by itself either way. May start turning and keep turning by just touching the steering wheel or it may turn as the engine starts up.
It had a leak from the valve on top of the sector so we replaced the valve (with NOS part ) and the o-rings. Leak is gone but steering still turns by itself left or right. HELP.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The part you changed hs slotted holes , the valve that the hose connects to needs to be centered

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Barracuda with 340. The steering will turn by itself either way. May start turning and keep turning by just touching the steering wheel or it may turn as the engine starts up.
It had a leak from the valve on top of the sector so we replaced the valve (with NOS part ) and the o-rings. Leak is gone but steering still turns by itself left or right. HELP.
You just need to adjust the position of the valve on top of the steering box. Loosen the two bolts a little. Have someone in the car holding the steering wheel to keep it from moving. Start the car and gently tap the valve up or down until the steering wheel quits moving. That will center the valve and resolve the problem. Retighten the bolts.

Builderguy

Reaction score
page588image3826176

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
There are more Chrysler Master tech on this subject. Look on you tube to find more. I think there is one on explaining diagnosing problems of power steering. If I get a chance I'll take a look. I'm thinking I seen where it was explained the spool is wore out. If that is even a thing.
I had a (Miss it) Ramcharger steer box worked on by an older guy that showed me how to do it. I sure do miss those older guys that did know everything! The one thing he said is that I should upgrade to a 3/4 ton type box with 36" tires. In the picture there are 34's on it so I could get it in the garage.

Ramcharger 79.png

Last edited:

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
The Master Tech Reference Book 70-10 POWER STEERING FUNDAMENTALS with pages 11-13 on troubleshooting pointers.

70-10_Power_Steering_Fundamentals_Page_11.jpg
70-10_Power_Steering_Fundamentals_Page_13.jpg
70-10_Power_Steering_Fundamentals_Page_12.jpg

Xcudame

Reaction score
I've had the best success where the bolts are just snug and using a dull chisel and hammer and tapping it just a wee bit at a time. It's really not a fun adjustment, but once done, it's good for 150,000 miles or so!

Dustu

Reaction score
Well ,I had the same issue year or two ago . Had a small leak as you did ,put it back together leak fixed ,steering turning its self . Had one apart ,different car once put it back no problem . I messed with this thing a good week or two ,it was suggested air in the system ,ok turned steering lock to lock many many different times no better . On and on trying different procedures . Finally was reading somewhere it was mentioned about moving the valve housing ,a small amount really ?,Ok so i had the front wheels off the ground as they had been ,housing bolts snug just not to leak, moved the housing to start with toward the firewall far as it goes {that's not far at all }.started the engine no one in the car and steering turned as usual ,tapped the housing ever so slightly down frontward and the wheels started turning ,moving straight ahead to the neutral position ,didnt take much ,WOW perfect ! Tighten bolts done . After all I tried good grief .It was hard to believe that's all it took ! Heard of such a problem years ago but never bothered to find the fix.

Back