• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Paint Bubbling

Mesmerized63

Reaction score
I was looking at a 70 cuda and the paint in the trunk pan is bubbling. The area under the mat was wet but it doesn't appear to be a chemical spill. Any idea what causes this and can it be fixed without a strip down and re-paint?

paint 1.JPG

paint 2.JPG

Xcudame

Reaction score
Contaminated surfaces causes bubbles like that. Keep in mind that the trunk was mostly over spray from the factory. Would require sanding and repainting to fix.

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
I was looking at a 70 cuda and the paint in the trunk pan is bubbling. The area under the mat was wet but it doesn't appear to be a chemical spill. Any idea what causes this and can it be fixed without a strip down and re-paint?

View attachment 124814

View attachment 124815
It was wet because there is a leak somewhere (corner of the rear windshield, rear light seals, etc. I would fix those leaks first then be concerned about the bubbling. If you have a trunk mat it will cover a multitude of sins...

Reaction score
Those rubber mats look nice, but the water never dries, i have one but don't have it in the car.

cuda joe

Reaction score
the only way to fix the bubbles is to strip the paint to bare metal and find the cause could be contaminates in the paint could be rust

Back