• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Sell it or keep it, #'s matching 73 Cuda 340

Titan1969

Reaction score
Thanks for opinions in advance.
Question: Mod a #'s matching 340 Cuda to increase power or sell to someone who keeps it stock?

I have inherited my dads 73 Cuda, 340 all numbers matching.
I sold my 95 Viper (loved that car) to make room for the Cuda as I could not justify keeping both cars as I would have to pay storage in SoCal area (very expensive)
I completed resto on the 340 and really like the car but dont LOVE the car due to lackluster power.
I would either mod the 340 and build it up, essentially ruining the stock car and its history OR sell the Cuda and buy a factory faster car (I.E. newer Viper, Lambo, Ferrari)

Yes I could store the Cuda but at $500-$600 a month, Im not doing it in SoCal.

20240714_102725.jpg

mrmopar340

Reaction score
Pull the original motor and store it. Build a stroker to go in it for the extra power. Remember it's only original once so any mods do so you can take it back to stock. As an original car it is worth a lot in that condition and you have been blessed in a way that few have been. The enjoyment you would gain by knowing its your dad's car and what he drove is priceless.
Hell send me a block and the parts I say and I'll build you a kick ass stroker to put in it. You can get 500 from a properly built 340 pump gas motor pretty easy. Just save that original block for later on.

Deathproofcuda

Reaction score
Me, I would keep it. But if Vipers, Lambos, and Ferraris are your thing, you should sell it to someone that is going to value an original numbers matching car.

However, you might consider setting up a purchase and sale agreement with the buyer that gives you the right of first refusal to repurchase the car if/when they decide to sell. That way, you'll at least have a shot at getting it back if you ever have regrets about selling your old man's car.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Vipers, Lambos, and Ferraris are ok. Ferrari 308 is what I always like or a Dino. A few years back. Someone I was working with has a 18 vett and we talked about cars a lot. I have always worked on my cars. For most of the parts I can buy with out to much issue. That's what I consider the most. My cars only go to the garage for state inspection. So he ask me If you could have only one car price not a issue what would it be. I said there all ***** ( OK I spell it backwards, sinep) cars. He completely lost it.

As far as a place to store. I buy another place as I do ( striking a deal on a garage now. He just has to get his stuff out. Also agreed to by an other house when they go to sell ) or as my brother does we build an other garage. //He had one with the house he bought. (No I was wrong there was a stick built one we tore down too) built one onto the house 35x35 With an office and apartment above. He shingled just his house last year and it took 42 sq. 🤣 And he wonders why. Built one 32x32 on the back of 24x24. 4-5 years ago we built a 24x40 shed. Just last month finished a 15x32 with no concrete floor just stone on the back of the 32x32. Now were entertaining the thought of a 40x60 on one of his other properties.

The point here is don't get rid of anything. If anything get more. Go buy a property and build if need be.
1727902361796.jpeg

Last edited:

Xcudame

Reaction score
The choice of course is yours. If you want more power, a 512 cubic 440 fits the bill and swaps out relatively easy (keeping the number's matching engine and trans for later). These E-Bodies can be made to drive and handle as well as any newer car.

If you have no attachment to your father's car (most people here would), then sell it and get your Viper, Lamborghini or Ferraris. Sure those cars are fast and handle well, but they aren't your dad's.

I kick myself for passing on my brothers 68 number's matching GTX and my dad's 68 Crown Imperial (both crushed and gone).

I've got 10 acres now with a 24' x 36' barn, five carports (four occupied) and a 24' x 32' garage. It's easier to buy land and build structures as needed than chose just one vehicle in my opinion.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Keep that 73 original. They are only original once.
There is only one car that was your dads. Keep it as it is. Fix it and drive it and remember the ole man every time you push the pedal.
Memories of father will only be more valuable as time goes by.

PLUM_72

Reaction score
Numbers matching on a 72-74 e-body means very little. I would almost extend that to numbers matching doesnt mean much on any small block e-body outside of the TA/AAR cars. If you're concerned, remove the engine, tuck it away somewhere. Then find another block to build, hit up Blueprint, or go Gen3.

Reaction score
Sell it and get a Modern 6.1L Charger/ Challenger supercharged special model and have fun. A lot closer to a Viper than anything you cna make your current car into without $$$$.
I like stock E bodies, but the Modern Mopars are very tempting.
M

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
That's my point would of could of should of keep it! 9999.9% of the time you can't get it back!
The 340 in that year was de tuned. Don't under estimate a 340. Many big block and small have been spanked by one. Been there done that. Both sides!
When I was 15-16 late 60's my cousin had 67 Belveader convertible 340 4sp. It did it's share. It would brake the tires loose and go sideways at 40-50 mph. Kinda like the one in this video but not as radical or at lest he didn't push it. He was and still is a very level headed person. In high school he worked very had for everything he got and made the best of it.
You Don't have to have the best of everything make the best of what you have.

The one in the video is a different animal with only 4 gears.

Back