• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

SST A41 Vs. 727 with Gear Vendor

DJOHAGIN

Reaction score
Wanting to find out what you guys think between using a SST A41 or going with a 727 with a Gear Vendor overdrive unit. I like the simplicity of no electronics with the 727 with GV, but is the A41 a better overall trans? This would be behind a 543. Thanks for any insight.

Dave

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
I debated for a long time about an overdrive automatic conversion or adding a GV to a 727. My final decision was to go to a TKX 5-Speed manual with pistol grip shifter. No tunnel issues, no kickdown linkage, and the best looking shifter ever made for a muscle car.
I am just getting started with the buying all of the items needed. Manual tunnel, carpet, shifter/boot, etc. but have not ordered the SST TKX kit as of yet.

Might be an option for your car.

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
If you’re not in a rush, SST has sales usually this time of the year.

Xcudame

Reaction score
If you want an automatic, I see now that GV sales overdrives for the short shaft 727 that were on 4x4 trucks with the divorced transfer case. This makes the overall transmission shorter than the long 727 tail shaft with a GV over drive.

JDMopar

Reaction score
I put a Gear Vendor OD in a 71 Challenger with a 727 and 3.55's. 2600 rpm @ 70 mph. It took a lot of beating the tunnel with a BFH to get it to fit. The OD ratio isn't that great on GV, but it's better than nothing. Next time, I will install a 518 for the better OD ratio.

Xcudame

Reaction score
I'm working on (one of numerous projects) putting a JW bell housing for a big block onto a 518 four speed. Using grade 9 5/16 bolts for the front pump/bell housing. Grade 9 bolts are very strong!

JDMopar

Reaction score
I don't know who makes them, but someone makes an adapter plate to mount a 518 to a big block Mopar. Looks to be 1/4" thick with matching spacer and bolts for flywheel or flex plate. The biggest downside I saw to it is that you have to cut the drivers side bottom corner of the block off so the starter will bolt on.

sixpactogo

Reaction score
I put a Gear vendor behind my 440 Short shaft truck back in 2012. I would not do it again. It gives you a 22 % gear reduction but for my part it was a waste of money. I was looking for some fuel mileage improvement but got none. IMO it was a waste of $3500.00 with no benefits. By the way, someone said the GV addition to a short shaft 727 ends up less than a long shaft 727. Not so. Probably adds more than a foot. Here is a pic of mine. I can see where it could be an improvement for racing but not much else. I too would go with a 518. Even a beefed up 518 would be a better and cheaper swap.

100_2875.JPG

Olacmot

Reaction score
I debated for a long time about an overdrive automatic conversion or adding a GV to a 727. My final decision was to go to a TKX 5-Speed manual with pistol grip shifter. No tunnel issues, no kickdown linkage, and the best looking shifter ever made for a muscle car.
I am just getting started with the buying all of the items needed. Manual tunnel, carpet, shifter/boot, etc. but have not ordered the SST TKX kit as of yet.

I’m curious about this swap. Keep us posted when you complete it!

DJOHAGIN

Reaction score
I put a Gear vendor behind my 440 Short shaft truck back in 2012. I would not do it again. It gives you a 22 % gear reduction but for my part it was a waste of money. I was looking for some fuel mileage improvement but got none. IMO it was a waste of $3500.00 with no benefits. By the way, someone said the GV addition to a short shaft 727 ends up less than a long shaft 727. Not so. Probably adds more than a foot. Here is a pic of mine. I can see where it could be an improvement for racing but not much else. I too would go with a 518. Even a beefed up 518 would be a better and cheaper swap.

View attachment 128184
I was over at a shop this weekend, and saw the GV on a 1969 GTX.

What rear gearing are you running on your combo? So with the 22% gear drop, no benefit in gas mileage? Thanks.

Dave

DJOHAGIN

Reaction score

You guys aren't helping. Now you got me thinking stick with a Hemi, lol.

Dave

sixpactogo

Reaction score
I was over at a shop this weekend, and saw the GV on a 1969 GTX.

What rear gearing are you running on your combo? So with the 22% gear drop, no benefit in gas mileage? Thanks.

Dave
My truck had a 3.21 sure grip. I sold the truck back in 2015 but what I remember is when the gear vendor kicked in, my vacuum gauge dropped down along with the rpms. Mileage stayed about the same (10-11 mpg)
The other thing I didn't like about the GV was the design. I remember the shaft housing adapter design allowed for the nut fitting on to the short shaft to only get about 2 threads. I complained to GV about that telling them any nut should get full threads. They disagreed and said two threads was fine because when it was all together, the nut couldn't come loose. I chalked it up to typical GM designers and installed it. Maybe they were right since as far as I know the new owner is still using it but I have not communicated with him in a couple of years. All I know is I was not impressed by its design or performance since it didn't do what I thought it would. I can see where is could be an asset for racing but that's about all. I don't mean to piss on anyone's parade but just sharing my experience. Others must have good experiences with them since they are still in business. Good Luck.

Back