• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Steering Column bracket

Kevineng

Reaction score
I started rebuilding my steering column, and was looking a the bracket that holds it up to the brackets on the firewall, it seems bent, but maybe they are made that way???? The interior is stripped, so I can see how it all aligns with the dash and the rest of the car. Dont know if I should start looking for a new one, or if its fine, or try to bend it straight. In pictures, a person can kind of see how it's "tweaked to one side.
Anybody know for sure?
steer bracket23.jpg
steer bracket2.jpg
steer bracket.jpg

Xcudame

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, they do have the "bent" look you are seeing. It's like a memory check. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Steve340

Reaction score
I cannot remember - but from your pictures it would appear to be made that way.
It would be hard to bend it and not buckle the mounting ears.
How does it fit on the dash frame?

Kevineng

Reaction score
I cannot remember - but from your pictures it would appear to be made that way.
It would be hard to bend it and not buckle the mounting ears.
How does it fit on the dash frame?
Thats what I was thinking, it would buckle or some other obvious flaw (crinkled/crack/peeled paint for example), I've got the whole car torn down, no dash installed as Im in the process of redoing that as well. Guess I'll have to wait until the dash is put back together and do a test fit, see how it looks then.

Steve340

Reaction score
I guess another thing to consider is - how buckled would the body shell be if that bracket were damaged.
Pretty badly damaged IMO.

pschlosser

Reaction score
I straightened one of those, when I discovered it was bent. Mine was bent to the left, and I recall thinking I was pulling too hard on the steering wheel (yes, to the left) as I entered the car. I seem to recall bending it by pulling really hard on the steering wheel from the passenger side. It was so long ago, maybe I'm delusional.

Back