• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Sterring Column issue

gbrx5

Reaction score
I just bought a 71 Cuda w/383 4Speed and the previous owner put a new key cylinder in so he had the column apart. When I pull up on steering wheel it pulls up about 1" What could be wrong here. Does anyone have a picture of a factory column from under the hood as it seems maybe something is missing up by fire wall Exit. No power steering

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
there is a snap ring to hold the top brg in place , it may be missing or the shear pins could be broken , is the floor mount secure on the floor & just the inner shaft moving ?

gbrx5

Reaction score
pulls out towards me and push back in, it is the center rod I can see it on out side where the rod slides into the sleeve that the other end of sleeve slides on to steering box it is not sliding at connection to steering Box it is where the steering rod slides into,

gbrx5

Reaction score
pulls out towards me and push back in, it is the center rod I can see it on out side where the rod slides into the sleeve that the other end of sleeve slides on to steering box it is not sliding at connection to steering Box it is where the steering rod slides into, As far as the snap wring and bearing is this under hood or inside column cause when I look at shaft from onder hood up into column all I see is the Rod coming out nothing around shaft at all

Adam

Reaction score
Wow that was confusing! Anyway I think you need to take it apart and see if it is missing a snap ring or if the shaft is actually sliding. Really not too hard to do...
If I recall correctly the steering shaft is actually two pieces designed to collapse in an accident.
The two pieces are firmly held together by a hard plastic piece which prevents them from sliding. The only way to know for sure and fix it, is by disassembly.
Other than a steering wheel puller no special tools are needed... steering-column-parts 1.jpg
And there are Mopar column rebuild articles online.. I found this picture on a Charger 500 page (thanks guys!) so the parts may appear different from yours.

steering-column-parts 1.jpg

Last edited:
Back