• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

street/strip drag tires, what width?

71cuda1990

Reaction score
Wanting to run big and littles on a car that will be driven on the street and raced as often as possible. Thinking 10.5 or 12 inch tread width Mickey Thompson ET street radials in back but not sure what tire size to run up front. Want the traction and handling up front to drive on the street but also want that sweet big and little pro street look. Any input would be awesome. Also it's not on a particular car. I'm looking at a few different cars and just trying to set up a game plan.

moparleo

Reaction score
Big and littles not recommended for street use. Think of what happens in a high speed stop. Where does the cars load go to ? The front tires. If they are too small, there is not enough tire contact area to stop in the shortest distance, The back tires lock up because of the weight transfer to the front tires under hard braking. The result can be, can you say " loss of vehicle control," and " roll over" when you are standing on the brake pedal. Street driving requires wide tread tires for optimum handling, and braking. Straight 1/4 or 1/8 mile track has a clear track and barriers in the shutdown area for when it won't stop properly. Disc brakes will help.
I know what you mean about the look of big and littles but you are stopping a 3600 lb. car. It needs lots of brakes.

burntorange70

Reaction score
The term "big and littles" referees to the front tires being shorter than the rears. I like that look a lot. It gives the car a raked look. I run that on my Dart. I have 185's on the front and would not want to go any narrower than that on the street.

71cuda1990

Reaction score
The term "big and littles" referees to the front tires being shorter than the rears. I like that look a lot. It gives the car a raked look. I run that on my Dart. I have 185's on the front and would not want to go any narrower than that on the street.

Thanks that's more what I had in mind. I was kinda thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 185-215 just wasn't sure how narrow you could safely go. One more thing I forgot is anyone running the Mickey Thompson street radial? If so what are your thoughts?

burntorange70

Reaction score
Thats with a small block A body. May want to go with a little wider for an E especially if it has a BB.

Back