• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Temp Cable for heater valve control

Olacmot

Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures of how the temp cable goes from the heater control slider in the dash to the valve under the hood? I guess I am assuming that’s how temp is controlled. My car didn’t have the cable, and I didn’t see a good diagram in the manual. I have a four seasons aftermarket valve that I manually change under the hood to control coolant through the heater core. The car has factory AC.

I bought this cable a while back and it seems the ear that mounts it to the dash is the opposite orientation of how I’d think it should go. The picture with the screw installed is how it lines up best, but the ear seems upside down.

Also, how long should it be? I have a 1971 challenger and this cable is 48” long. I think it is supposed to go through the firewall on the drivers side, but that path means this cable is too short.

Thanks!

IMG_7029.jpeg

IMG_7028.jpeg

IMG_7027.jpeg

tonysrt

Reaction score
On non AC cars the cable moves a door to block heat from the heater core. That cable you have is hooked up to the door to block heat from the heater core and is hooked up on the top of the heater box. So I don't think it'll do what you want with an AC water valve. Check to see if they list it for AC cars or non AC cars.

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
As far as routing the cable, at first they ran them out the driver's side (first pic) but by mid-late 70 they started running them out below the blower motor (second pic).

IMG_5150.jpg

IMG_5134.jpg

Olacmot

Reaction score
As far as routing the cable, at first they ran them out the driver's side (first pic) but by mid-late 70 they started running them out below the blower motor (second pic).

View attachment 128464

View attachment 128465
Interesting. That spot below the blower motor is where my vacuum tube for the AC was routed. Did they start bringing the vacuum tube out the drivers side holes? Wondering if mine is switched…

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
No they shared the same spot, here's the grommet.

IMG_5772.jpg

IMG_5773.jpg

Olacmot

Reaction score
No they shared the same spot, here's the grommet.

View attachment 128475

View attachment 128476
Interesting. I don’t remember my grommet having the second hole, or that part that sticks out. Could have been changed over the years I suppose.

So, what’s the preferred path? My car is far from original so I don’t care. I kind of like the idea of keeping it behind the dash and out of the engine bay for most of the run.

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
Ya know, I think I may have gotten it backwards. I know on my car March 70 built car above it definitely exited by the blower motor but I'm thinking for 71-74 they may have exited by the booster. Hopefully others can confirm.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I have a non AC car and put a 3/8 ball valve on the water pump to keep the hot water from going into the heater core. Shut off in the summer and open it in the winter.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I have a non AC car and put a 3/8 ball valve on the water pump to keep the hot water from going into the heater core. Shut off in the summer and open it in the winter.
There should be a bleeder hole or crack it open now and then. The engineers put one there for a reason.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures of how the temp cable goes from the heater control slider in the dash to the valve under the hood? I guess I am assuming that’s how temp is controlled. My car didn’t have the cable, and I didn’t see a good diagram in the manual. I have a four seasons aftermarket valve that I manually change under the hood to control coolant through the heater core. The car has factory AC.

I bought this cable a while back and it seems the ear that mounts it to the dash is the opposite orientation of how I’d think it should go. The picture with the screw installed is how it lines up best, but the ear seems upside down.

Also, how long should it be? I have a 1971 challenger and this cable is 48” long. I think it is supposed to go through the firewall on the drivers side, but that path means this cable is too short.

Thanks!
Yes, the second cable you ordered for an A/C car is correct and it is 71" long. The first one (pic below) you ordered is 48" and non-A/C.
1724979328872.png

The description for HEAT in the Plymouth Service Manual notes the vacuum-control of the "fresh air-recirculating door" to supply air through the heater core. It also notes the amount of heat using the temp cable you are replacing and the "setting of the water flow control valve lever".
1724979453850.png

Diagram showing the water flow control valve to HVAC control panel annotated for cable length of 71".
AC Heater Temp Control Cable 71 inches long.jpg

And the routing, as noted by @EV2RTSE, changed from exiting the interior on the driver's side (early-70) to exiting on the passenger's side (mid- to late-70).
Here is the Early-70 routing of the cable (LEFT) and the mid-year change routing location in the rubber grommet with the vacuum tubing (RIGHT).
Early-70 Temp Control Valve Cable Routing from Driver Side to Valve.jpg
mid- to late-1970 Temp Control Valve Cable Routing exists with Vacuum Tubing in same grommet.jpg

Olacmot

Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for the info. Mine was built in August of ‘70. I think I am going to route it from the drivers side, as my grommet only has one hole in it and there is an abandoned aftermarket wire sticking out of the firewall that I need to remove anyway. If anyone ever sees my car in the wild and points out that this route is period incorrect, I will buy them a beer 🤣

IMG_7049.jpeg

IMG_7050.jpeg

IMG_7051.jpeg

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Those pics, especially your grommet, show you plan is accurate. Touche'!

Back