• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Torsion bar cross-member damage

billbob1936

Reaction score
Hello. I'm looking for input on damage on the cross-member structure that connects to the torsion bars. I've attempted to bend the wound to a close position using vise-grips, but was surprised at just how strong the metal is preventing me from doing that. The replacement procedure looks to be difficult, so I'm asking if leaving it, as is, could be a safety issue. Thanks for any input.

C1.PNG

Mr Cuda

Reaction score
The good news is its localized damage, and not a safey issue, in the short term. It should be repaired.
Looks like it got caught loading on a trailer, or a tie down ripped it.
It doesn't appear rusty or needing alignment.
Cut out the damaged section and weld in a repair part. Any 6" section will work although you might have to cut and duplicate the factory holes.
If you are not try for a concourse repair, a hand formed patch of the same thickness would suffice.

billbob1936

Reaction score
The good news is its localized damage, and not a safey issue, in the short term. It should be repaired.
Looks like it got caught loading on a trailer, or a tie down ripped it.
It doesn't appear rusty or needing alignment.
Cut out the damaged section and weld in a repair part. Any 6" section will work although you might have to cut and duplicate the factory holes.
If you are not try for a concourse repair, a hand formed patch of the same thickness would suffice.
Thankfully, it's not too close to the torsion bar mounting area. I believe the car may have struck something in the road because the blowout is front-to-back. Chrysler must have made this part extra-strong, because I can't budge it, even with a 2 pound hammer.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
The other side is you templet if need be. I see 2 ways to repair it 1 as said above. Can be welded in piece by piece. That leaves the inside open to weld also. 2 as you are trying ,If everything is still there use a torch (propane turbo torch makes a lot of heat.) heat up bend ( be selective of your bends.) and hammer back in place. Then weld as you go. Seen it and been there done it. Of course take al safety precautions. Remove local undercoating, lift carpet and keep damp or wet rag on the floor probably sound deadened there. Set someone as a fire watch.

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Thankfully, it's not too close to the torsion bar mounting area. I believe the car may have struck something in the road because the blowout is front-to-back. Chrysler must have made this part extra-strong, because I can't budge it, even with a 2 pound hammer.
I believe it is 16GA.

Steve340

Reaction score
That repair is pretty close to what appears to be the main fuel line - watch out for that also.

The best idea in general terms is to cut and remove the damaged area and graft in new metal.
A good body man could do it so most people would never know the car had been damaged.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Easy fix actually! Glad my son is getting all his welding certificates! The tear looks worse (structurally) than it is. Definitely insulate the fuel lines and have a spotter for the welding operation. Can't see flames through the welding helmet!! Once repaired and new under coating applied, no one is going to notice.

Back