• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

A/C solenoid

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Those of you who installed an aftermarket A/C solenoid onto your carb; where did you get the power from? Did you splice into the compressor hot wire with a tap, or did you solder a wire into the comp hot wire? Wondering the best way to do this.

mopar jack

Reaction score
If your car came with an anti run on/diesel solenoid I would tap into that source. I recently installed a Vintage air system and with a 440 set to idle at 900 rpm haven't needed a solenoid.

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
If your car came with an anti run on/diesel solenoid I would tap into that source. I recently installed a Vintage air system and with a 440 set to idle at 900 rpm haven't needed a solenoid.
The car did not come with that so looking for what others have done to get power. Also, I have the VA A/C setup too. The car came with dual electric fans and the VA setup. When the fans come on, the engine RPM's drop a little. When that happens and then the A/C comes on the engine struggles, especially when the auto trans is in gear. Up to now I have had the idle set higher to compensate some for that but don't think that is the solution. Hoping the solenoid can mitigate some of this.

Litchkar

Reaction score
I did this on my 371 Stroker with a Vintage air system. I tapped off the compressor power lead. Works great, but sometimes I have to bump the throttle to get it to engage. The solenoids are not strong enough to push the linkage to raise the rpm’s, they extend and lock open to prevent the linkage from fully closing when engine is above idle.

cuda joe

Reaction score
i taped into the ac compresser power wire the only problem i have with that is when the ac cycles off at idle then kicks back on at idle the solenoid does not have the power to up the idle i have to tap the gas

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
i taped into the ac compresser power wire the only problem i have with that is when the ac cycles off at idle then kicks back on at idle the solenoid does not have the power to up the idle i have to tap the gas
Yeah, I think these are pretty useless. Since the solenoid does not increase the idle speed by itself, I wish I would not have purchased it. What I *might* do is use it as an anti-dieseling solenoid instead. Need to increase the idle a lot to handle both the compressor load and the alternator (especially when the fans come on). Hmmm... something to think about!!!

Xcudame

Reaction score
Factory AC equiped cars did have a higher idle setting. Like an additional 100 rpm or so. Ricks72Chlgr440, what is your current rpm in Park at idle? 950rpm or less I would think is definitely acceptable.

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Factory AC equiped cars did have a higher idle setting. Like an additional 100 rpm or so. Ricks72Chlgr440, what is your current rpm in Park at idle? 950rpm or less I would think is definitely acceptable.
Unfortunately, not much of my setup is factory! :) To keep the engine happy, I have to set the idle at about 1100. In gear, with A/C & cooling fans running the engine is at about 750 and not particularly happy. Timing is optimized so that eliminates the issue being lack of timing. I often need to shut the car off in gear to prevent dieseling.

cuda joe

Reaction score
i would wire the solenoid to stay on whenever the ac is on if you put a thermal switch to cycle the compresser on and off the compresser wire isn;t the best choice but will work you will have the problems i stated above

Back