• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

ID on Challenger tail light panel

Doc Corey

Reaction score
Corey in KC here again. Could anyone tell me where to find the part number on the tail panel. My car is a 71, but I suspect the tail light panel that came with it (used) isn't for a 71, because the tail light bezels don't fit, and it doesn't quite line up with my new quarters. I know, sounds like a simple problem, but this is my first Challenger project, and assumptions are easy to make. It came with the car. Anyway, the 71 tail light bezels (correct 71 part numbers) don't fit the tail panel I have. I have somewhat sorted out the aftermarket trunk drop-off nightmare that I've been told of. Thanks for your past help and maybe present.....

340challconvert

Reaction score
Do you have a pic of the tail lights and a pic of the rear panel without the tail lights installed? Would be able to ID what you have w a pic!

Doc Corey

Reaction score
Here's the tail panel.

20190609_201200.jpg

Doc Corey

Reaction score
I think you're right. I guess it's a good thing I didn't weld it in! It really didn't look right where it meets the quarters, but I just figured it all had to be "massaged" together. I'd love to get this car off the stands so I can start on my 'Cuda. Thanks all of you for your help.

Doc Corey

Reaction score
Doc
That is definitely a 1970 rear tail panel.
Probably the reason the 71 tail lights do not fit.
The 71 Challenger rear tail would look like this:
1971-dodge-challenger-remove-taillight-panel.jpg
Funny, I was just looking at this picture last night. My trunk lid, tail panel and rear valance all look like sister parts. I wonder if the rear valance is 70 also. Thanks for your help. Time to spend more money.......

340challconvert

Reaction score
Doc
The trunk lids are pretty much the same year to year and should fit, the differences year to year are on the holes on the bottom side to accommodate different options (spoilers, luggage rack)
With the rear valance w cutouts for exhaust, 70 and 71 are the same.
Dino2 (1).gif

Doc Corey

Reaction score
Well it's definitely a /70 panel, about as common as rain around here. The other day I thought I had looked up a source for new 71 panel, but now I can't find it. I bought a bunch of 71 parts from a guy in Kansas 6 mos. ago, and he had a ratty 71 panel and asked me if I need it (probably 100$) I said, 'no, I already have one". Dang...

Doc Corey

Reaction score
I actually got ahold of the aforementioned guy in Kansas, and I'm going there tomorrow to buy all the e body stuff he has left. He still has the 71 tail panel, and a ton of trim for Challengers various years, inside window, tail lights and valances, and vinyl top trim. Several bb 727n cores and front and rear valances. And a couple of gutted b bodies hopefully will yield some roof frame pieces and brake pedal supports I need. Oh and new SS MP leaf springs. Pray for me....

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I actually got ahold of the aforementioned guy in Kansas, and I'm going there tomorrow to buy all the e body stuff he has left. He still has the 71 tail panel, and a ton of trim for Challengers various years, inside window, tail lights and valances, and vinyl top trim. Several bb 727n cores and front and rear valances. And a couple of gutted b bodies hopefully will yield some roof frame pieces and brake pedal supports I need. Oh and new SS MP leaf springs. Pray for me....
Sounds like fun!

Doc Corey

Reaction score
Well, I bought some of what he had. And a few 70-74 Cuda/ Challenger misc and 3 bbm 727 cores. Also 383 Edelbrock intake. Tail panel looks ok.l also got a near perfect rear seat back. Not sure what that yellow valance fits.

20190622_124055.jpg

20190622_124112.jpg

20190622_124122.jpg

20190622_124059.jpg

340challconvert

Reaction score
The good news is, you got the hard to get 71 Challenger tail panel you needed. You could sell off some pieces like the 72-74 tail light units to off set your costs!

Doc Corey

Reaction score
Yes. Spent all afternoon tapping out two dents in the top of the panel, and made a 30" strip to replace the rotted bottom. Today I'll try to make the pieces for the 'ears' and the tabs at the trunk drip area. I may end up being so proud of this piece I won't want to cover it with tail lights! Cheers

Back