• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Barracuda Convertible Resto

Surfcuda

Reaction score
New member switching over to Testoration thread. Bringing my 1970 Barracuda Convertible back to life. I have started with drive train. Replaced timing chain, water pump, freezer plugs, etc… pulled the transmission to replace pump seal and rear freezer plugs. The photo show a better way to remove the seal without causing any damage to splines. I have pulled seals on boat motors this way for years using a sharp drywall screw and vice grips. Also the rear freezer plugs were toast. More to come.

IMG_0415.jpeg

IMG_0473.jpeg

IMG_0501.jpeg

IMG_0519.jpeg

IMG_0520.jpeg

IMG_0521.jpeg

IMG_0522.jpeg

IMG_0523.jpeg

pschlosser

Reaction score
Yee-hah, nice pics. I love seeing a Cuda/Barracuda in its natural habitat.

Thank you for sharing the images of your ride.

I may have owned 10 or more e-body hard tops in my sordid history, but only once, did I own a convertible, and I enjoyed it a great deal in southern california.

But I also learned how little that top insulates and how cold a convertible in cold climates can be, compared to hard tops, so my experiences are.... tempered by an old-age-driven desire for comfort.

Last edited:

Surfcuda

Reaction score
Yee-hah, nice pics. I love seeing a Cuda/Barracuda in its natural habitat.

Thank you for sharing the images of your ride.

I may have owned 10 or more e-body hard tops in my sordid history, but only once, did I own a convertible, and I enjoyed it a great deal in southern california.

But I also learned how little that top insulates and how cold a convertible in cold climates can be, compared to hard tops, so my experiences is.... tempered by an old-age-driven desire for comfort.
👍

carbonfiber

Reaction score
Such a great dry car! Best of luck (and skillz) along the way with this prime fish. Are you going to remove the roll bar? If not, how is it attached?

Surfcuda

Reaction score
Such a great dry car! Best of luck (and skillz) along the way with this prime fish. Are you going to remove the roll bar? If not, how is it attached?
Great question on the roll bar. Supposedly it was a dealership add on, as the story goes. Would be cool if anyone has any info on dealer roll bars. I did remove it as seen behind fish in photo with transmission out. It is a bolt on roll bar. Two bolts each side into rear wheel wells and three bolts each side into floor pan. Don’t know yet if I’m going to keep it in the fish. 🏝

Surfcuda

Reaction score
Roll Bar Photo
Roll Bar Photo

IMG_0543.jpeg

Surfcuda

Reaction score
New member switching over to Testoration thread. Bringing my 1970 Barracuda Convertible back to life. I have started with drive train. Replaced timing chain, water pump, freezer plugs, etc… pulled the transmission to replace pump seal and rear freezer plugs. The photo show a better way to remove the seal without causing any damage to splines. I have pulled seals on boat motors this way for years using a sharp drywall screw and vice grips. Also the rear freezer plugs were toast. More to come.

View attachment 127285

View attachment 127286

View attachment 127287

View attachment 127288

View attachment 127289

View attachment 127290

View attachment 127291

View attachment 127292
Well I ran into an issue that I need some help with. I have the dreaded 2229171 Brake Master Cylinder. Is there any recommend shop to have it rebuilt? I know they haven’t made the rebuild kit in over 20 years. Would like to have it re-sleeved with new seals.

IMG_0549.jpeg

IMG_0547.jpeg

IMG_0548.jpeg

IMG_0546.jpeg

Surfcuda

Reaction score

carbonfiber

Reaction score
Very Cool! I contacted Brake Material and Parts about my MC 2229171. They confirmed they could rebuild and re-sleeve my Master Cylinder! Sent it out today, Thanks for info. 🏝
Awesome, man! Happy to help! I and friends have dealt with them in the past. Not the closest to you there in CA, a quality shop nonetheless. Keep us in the loop with any updates. One of the coolest fish I've seen in a long time.

Surfcuda

Reaction score

View attachment 127285

View attachment 127286

View attachment 127287

View attachment 127288

View attachment 127289

View attachment 127290

View attachment 127291

View attachment 127292

Well I ran into an issue that I need some help with. I have the dreaded 2229171 Brake Master Cylinder. Is there any recommend shop to have it rebuilt? I know they haven’t made the rebuild kit in over 20 years. Would like to have it re-sleeved with new seals.

View attachment 127498

View attachment 127499

View attachment 127500

View attachment 127501

Surfcuda

Reaction score
While waiting for master cylinder rebuild. I had a local Muffler Shop install dual exhaust in my fish. I supplied ONS OEM Flowmaster Mufflers and Tips. Shop did a fantastic job, with H Pipe and tucked the mufflers out of sight next to gas tank. Also designed for easy removal of transmission if needed. Have a few more issues to address before I can fire the motor up. Will make updates as more progress is made 🏝

IMG_0577.jpeg

IMG_0578.jpeg

IMG_0583.jpeg

IMG_0571.jpeg

Surfcuda

Reaction score
While waiting for master cylinder rebuild. I had a local Muffler Shop install dual exhaust in my fish. I supplied ONS OEM Flowmaster Mufflers and Tips. Shop did a fantastic job, with H Pipe and tucked the mufflers out of sight next to gas tank. Also designed for easy removal of transmission if needed. Have a few more issues to address before I can fire the motor up. Will make updates as more progress is made 🏝

View attachment 127831

View attachment 127832

View attachment 127833

View attachment 127834
Dropped the Gas Tank and it was toast. Picked up a new OER Tank and sending unit from Classic Industries. The Sending Unit wire attachment bolt is cheaply made and is attached with a flared end on the inside of the unit. With a little pressure tightening the bolt it just fell off. I took a zinc plated bolt same thread as the flared one that fell off and put it through from the back side of the unit. I used the parts from the one that fell off on the new bolt and secured it in place. The Sending Unit Wire attachment is extremely secure now. With new Tank Straps, J Bolts, and hoses it’s back together and looks pretty good! Photos attached. More to come.🏝

IMG_0591.jpeg

IMG_0607.jpeg

Surfcuda

Reaction score
Power Steering Unit had a bad leak at the spindle. I pulled the steering column and replaced the seal on the unit. Used the dry wall screw technique to pull the seal (prevents damage to shaft and area seal seats). A little black tape on the splines to protect the seal when you slide it on and a PVC connector (perfect diameter) to press the seal in. Simple fix for the 1970 OEM Steering Unit. 🏝

IMG_0619.jpeg

IMG_0620.jpeg

IMG_0621.jpeg

IMG_0622.jpeg

IMG_0623.jpeg

IMG_0624.jpeg

IMG_0625.jpeg

IMG_0626.jpeg

Back