• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

360 by pass hose

roadman5312

Reaction score
Just ran into a strange situation. When replacing the by pass hose I found the fitting in the manifold to small. Upon removing the fitting I found the threads were 1/2 npt, they are supposed to be 3/4 npt. By the casting numbers it's a stock 360 intake manifold. It's impossible to find a fitting 1/2 npt by 1inch hose. Any ideas.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
You can do away with the bypass hose if you are NOT running a thermostat.

roadman5312

Reaction score
Thanks that's a great sey up, but the hose is 1inch both ends. Fitting in manifold is to small.

roadman5312

Reaction score
I removed the by pass hose it had been tightened down onto the fitting in manifold, down from 1 in to about 5/8. Really crap work. Anyway I finally found a fitting Latham is 1/2 npt by 1 inch hose. Found on amazon. What I really can't figure is why on this factory mopar manifold it takes 1/2 npt rather than 3/4 npt.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Why would you not use a thermostat on a street car ?

It is done a lot of times where I live. The low temps here are in the upper 70's. A lot of time we will use a restricter to slow the water flow or it goes through the system too quickly and does not cool. I wasn't recomending to not use the thermostat but saying that if you are not running one you don't need the by pass hose. We use a water pump lubricant here but don't need antifreeze. The difference is around $8 a gallon. Things change depending on where you live.

Back