• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

45 Degree Flares Instead of 37 Degree???

Weldguy

Reaction score
I'm installing a TCI 727 in my '70 Challenger 440. The cooling line ports come plugged from TCI and I need to make new cooling lines. I know automotive flare fittings are usually 37 degree flares. I have a couple of 45 degree flaring tools and need to buy the fittings for the 727 anyway. Has anyone gone with 45 degree flares on the cooling lines. I don't think the pressure in the lines is high enough to matter, but I thought I'd better check with the experts.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I made up a lot of high pressure hydraulic lines JIC.

Flare Fittings​

There are several differences between "comparable" industrial 37° flare (SAE/ISO) and AN 37° flare style fittings.
comparison-jic-an-parker-triple-fitting

Threads​

• AN 37° Flare: Male and female, Class 3A/3B UNJ/UNJF (radiused root threads)
  • SAE/ISO 37° Flare: Male and female, class 2A/2B, UN/UNF series threads for tighter tolerances and better fatigue life for aircraft, aerospace, military applications

Military Conformance Standards​

• AN 37° Flare: AN flare fittings conform to MIL-F-5509 specifications, and also AS4841
  • SAE/ISO 37° Flare: Some fittings conform to MIL-F-18866 as shown on MS51500 through MS51534

Industrial Conformance Standards​

• AN 37° Flare: Meets SAE Aerospace (AS) standards
  • SAE/ISO 37° Flare: Meet the applicable dimensional and performance requirements of SAE J514/ISO 8434-2

General​

In addition to the above-noted differences, drop lengths, hex sizes, hex widths may also vary between "comparable" AN 37° flare and industrial 37° flare fittings in some sizes.

AN and JIC Fittings Interchangeability​

AN 37° flare and industrial 37° flare fittings function identically. In many cases, they appear to be functionally interchangeable, but they are not. What this means is that while the products may look similar, you must not use an industrial 37° flare fitting design as a direct substitution.

comparison-jic-an-parker-triple-fitting.jpg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
. As the operating pressures increased, the inverted flare did not perform as well as the Triple Fitting, and its use started declining. The ease of manufacture of Triple Fitting provided additional advantages that resulted in its quick acceptance in various industrial and military applications. The Triple Fitting was a patented three-piece design similar to the current Parker Triple-Lok 37° flare fitting, except it had a 30° flare angle instead of the 37°. This fitting design was the forerunner of the current AN and SAE 37° flare fittings.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Just buy the OEM transmission coolant from Inline Tube and pat yourself on the back for having the correct parts. $45 is a steal?

Xcudame

Reaction score
I'll go out on a limb (done that lots of times) and almost guarantee there will be zero issues with Inline Tube transmission coolant lines and TTI headers! 😁

heminut

Reaction score
As far as I know, all the fittings on these cars were 45 degree, which is standard for automotive. The 37 degree fittings were used in the aircraft industry and were carried over for the aluminum fittings used in the stainless braided lines in the automotive aftermarket.

Weldguy

Reaction score
As far as I know, all the fittings on these cars were 45 degree, which is standard for automotive. The 37 degree fittings were used in the aircraft industry and were carried over for the aluminum fittings used in the stainless braided lines in the automotive aftermarket.
I've still got an original fitting on the bottom of the radiator. I'll double check it tomorrow to see if it us a 45. I made an assumption (yes, I know) that automotive fittings were 37°.
Thanks.

Weldguy

Reaction score
I've still got an original fitting on the bottom of the radiator. I'll double check it tomorrow to see if it us a 45. I made an assumption (yes, I know) that automotive fittings were 37°.
Thanks.
It's definitely a 45.

Back