• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

AAR Fiberglass hood

1970CUDAAAR

Reaction score
OOF I'm discorraged!

I have a 1970 CUDA 440 Six pack - with an AAR fiberglass hood which is worpe.

Her is what has been done:
1) Replaced the spring with the correct one (red spring).
2) Someone has installed some metal brace to straitening the hood.

I still have the following problens:

3) The springs are not strong enough to hold the hood up.
4) The hood is still not properly line up with the fender.

Some the issues could be related to the fact that the back of hood is touching the car body and seem to cause some distortion where the hood is not line up with the fenders.
On the driver side the hood is not properly lined up with the fender at the back of the hood (side near the window). Is it possible that I need to bring down the hood hinges on that side?

Any help will be verry much apreciated. I tried to buy a new hood - the manufacturer seem to be out of business.

Thanks!

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I would start to find out if the hood Hinges are wore?

A common alignment problem on E-body & 71-up B-bodies is with the rear hood edge being up too high with the hinges being adjusted all the way down on the inner fender.
This is an adjustment problem! Start by moving the hinge up on the inner fender. (yes, up!)
Then, loosen the 2 rear bolts and leave the front bolt snug. Now lift the hood to make the hinge rotate (as viewed from the side). Re tighten the rear bolts and check the fit. This procedure will get that tail to come down. Adjust the front-to-rear dimension on the hood side bolts.
It can be frustrating and take some time, but these hoods will fit correctly! I’ve installed them with the hood sitting about 2 1/2" above the fender...using this method, the hood was fitting perfect in a few minutes!
Fender-Hood alignment

Tightening up the hinge is more of a temporary fix. The pins more than likely have some wear. The holes are more than likely wallowed out. Once the hood is adjusted and you got it right. Open and close it a few time and it's out of alignment and or the back is up.

Last edited:

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
I have the same hood -- likely from the same company. Stinger Fiberglass? As stated above, sounds like you need to take some more time getting it adjusted properly. If you can post some pictures, that would help us lead you in the right direction.

I will say, I got my springs from Glasstek. They are the gold colored low-tension springs and work wonderfully. I believe the part number is MI001L, but I would contact them to make sure.

1970CUDAAAR

Reaction score
J'ai le même capot – probablement de la même entreprise. Fibre de verre Stinger ? Comme indiqué ci-dessus, il semble que vous deviez prendre un peu plus de temps pour l'ajuster correctement. Si vous pouvez poster quelques photos, cela nous aiderait à vous guider dans la bonne direction.

Je dirai que j'ai acheté mes ressorts chez Glasstek. Ce sont des ressorts à basse tension de couleur or et fonctionnent à merveille. Je crois que le numéro de pièce est MI001L, mais je les contacterais pour m'en assurer.

1970CUDAAAR

Reaction score
Finaly managed to install the hood properlay - thjis after many adjustment to the hinges. I bought my springs from Year One - red in collor. They ar not strong enough to hold the hood up. I ordered a pole to hold the hood when I need access to the engine compartment. I checked the one you bought less expensive $ 59 vs $ 95 at Year One. Coes the one on your car holds the hood upÉ Thanks!

Back