• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Anybody have success with dominators on a e body ?

Ted70challenger

Reaction score
Hello I’m back after being gone for a time. I have a 70 challenger base 318 car automatic . Way —- back I upgraded to a 440 , 410 posi rear . It’s a hydraulic roller cam at about 250 ish duration at .050” lift 530 lift . Indy cast iron heads and hear it comes … a Holley dominator 1150 cfm with Indy’s matching intake manifold.
I think it’s over carbureted . I’m haveing backfires if I stomp the petal. If tryed a variety of Excelerator cams to no relief. Now I’m thinking of skirted boosters . Has anyone tried this with success ? BTW way back I saw a elcamino with 427 and a dominator, and I was wowed . After that I must have one . Damn they are awesome looking carburetors .

Xcudame

Reaction score
Quick and dirty way to calculated needed cfm is double the cubic inches of the engine. 440 x 2 = 880
So an 850 cfm would work great. Hmmm, what do you know, the factory Thermoquad from the 70's was 850 cfm for 440s.

You can tune just about any size carburator to run on any size engine. It all comed down to how much tuning and tweaking you want to do.

Cojohnso

Reaction score
The Dominator series is named for that. Race engine builds. They can be sluggish and difficult to fine tune. Even a moderately built street application. With today's quick flow and DP 4150 style options? I would not recommend Dominator line for a street car.

I can take it a step further. I would also recommend the smallest 4150 that can still give the CFMs required at WOT. Just for the better throttle response, if nothing else.

JMO.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I had a serious 440 build & every time I went bigger the car went faster , the best performance & mileage was with a 1050 Dominator , they work great

Tig

Reaction score
Do you know the model # for the carb ? Holley make 2 cct 3 cct, T/R and blower specific dominator carbs. TBH I think your engine would be happier with a 950. We had a similar combo and it ran best with a 950 after trying a 750 and an 850 (all D/P btw).
A point of note is the 950 D/P Holley does not flow 950cfm, it uses the same size venturi as a 750 and the baseplate of an 850 but it worked really well in that 440 combo.
You can get that 1150 carb to work but it will be a lot of trail and error reading plugs and / or fitting an O2 sensor to help. You will need to check the mixture (AFR) at different points of differing driving styles to cover all the fueling circuits. I have a T/R with 2 1150 dominators on a 580ci engine. We got them to work really well after some main jet, emulsion and bleed changes. No disrespect intended but you have to have a good understanding of how a carb works to tune one at this level, reading plugs and an O2 sensor will help.
In the scheme of things the car has only been .06 faster (at the same 142.5mph) with the T/R compared to a single worked 1050. The T/R came off our 655 race engine which we have recently rebuilt but I / we just like to set up stuff so it was fitted to a our old mule 580 engine :D

habit@Shearwater3.jpg

Cojohnso

Reaction score
I had a serious 440 build & every time I went bigger the car went faster , the best performance & mileage was with a 1050 Dominator , they work great
My 451 race build I made a run with a 1050 Dominator. E.T. was same, but did pickup alittle on bigend. So yes, its a win. But with a street motor? Most I found is one just uses more fuel.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Per the OP, the camshaft is 250ish duration at .050" lift and .530" lift hydraulic roller. That camshaft seems a little small for a big 1150 Dominator! Heck my Lunati 10230704 flat tappet hydraulic for the 440 for my Barracuda is almost that big and I consider that a mid-tier street camshaft!

Back