• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Big Block Headers

Xcudame

Reaction score
Thought I'd post some photos of different Mopar Big Block driver's side headers that I have. They are Hooker Competition (black painted), Doug D451 (383/400) and TTI 1 7/8" ceramic coated. By the way, the foot in the one photo belongs to Heminut!
Notice that cylinder number one tube goes into a different spot of the collector on all three headers. And notice the difference in lengths of tubes and overall header length. The TTI is the sleekest one of the three. Of course the TTI headers cost the most too!

1000007584.jpg

1000007585.jpg

1000007586.jpg

1000007588.jpg

1000007589.jpg

willstoy

Reaction score
Which one are you using? Been seriously considering buying another set of TTI's for my convert.... They were great on my hardtop car....

Xcudame

Reaction score
I'm going to use them all. Seriously, if I generate enough interest in this post, I'm thinking of installing all three pair of headers in my rolling shell 71Barracuda and taking tons of pictures for fit up. Currently the Barracuda has a stock power steering box and I was thinking of using all three headers with that. Then switch to my Borgerson power steering box and doing a fit up of all three again. That would give us on this forum a lot of big block header information!

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
I'm going to use them all. Seriously, if I generate enough interest in this post, I'm thinking of installing all three pair of headers in my rolling shell 71Barracuda and taking tons of pictures for fit up. Currently the Barracuda has a stock power steering box and I was thinking of using all three headers with that. Then switch to my Borgerson power steering box and doing a fit up of all three again. That would give us on this forum a lot of big block header information!
Boy, you're a glutton for punishment, but thanks for helping others by doing this!

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
Boy do I remember back in the 70s laying on my back and installing headers in my 442 cars and cussing every minute.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Being retired and in my 50's helps! The biggest issue is switching from a RB (413) for the TTI and Hooker headers to B (383) for the Doug headers.

Sinitro

Reaction score
Over the years I have had multiple brands of headers..
But without a doubt the best quality
The best ones were from TTi....
They fit the best, great build quality....
Just be sure that the engine and its mounts are in good shape not sagging..

Just my $0.02... ;)

Xcudame

Reaction score
I'll be using brand new mounts. My guy tells me the TTI and Doug D451 will fit with little to no problems. The Hookers are going to be a little tougher. I wish I had multiple E-Body shells instead of just one. And a 4-spd besides just a 727. But it still should make interesting documentation! If only it wasn't averaging 105°F for the highs here!

sdcbowler

Reaction score

I am definitely interested. I was thinking about putting a set on my car. The question I had was which are the easiest to install, requires the least amount of retrofit/modification, and requires the least amount of time to change surrounding components in the engine compartment. I know this is a pretty big order...:D

mjb765

Reaction score
Just following along....thinking of doing headers in my Cuda. Is it worse with a 4 speed?

Xcudame

Reaction score
Sometimes the clutch linkage that bolts to the frame gets in the way of headers and well as column shift linkage. (Headers don't really like lock out linkage either.) So I'd it's a little worse on a 4spd. Don't know enough about the Hooker headers, but the TTI and Doug's are supposed to fit just about everything.

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Sometimes the clutch linkage that bolts to the frame gets in the way of headers and well as column shift linkage. (Headers don't really like lock out linkage either.) So I'd it's a little worse on a 4spd. Don't know enough about the Hooker headers, but the TTI and Doug's are supposed to fit just about everything.
I think what you're doing to present the installation of different headers is a wonderful thing. Hopefully you'll have some hair left after this project is over!!!

Tig

Reaction score
The price of premium stainless headers is catching up with custom stuff, if you are handy with a Mig or a Tig welder you can make your own. Takes a little practice though, the first set I made were terrible, they looked awful and the pipe lengths were all over the place but these didn't go any faster or quicker :D

13.04.09 013.jpg

Back