• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Bone stock original 70 440 valve train noise

Xcudame

Reaction score
I would just install the new rocker arms (and shafts?). Maybe check each pushrod on a flat surface one by one to ensure none are bent. If the lobes of the camshaft look good, leave the lifters alone. You will need to rotate the engine to see all of the camshaft lobes. If one or more lobes look worn (it will be obvious) you know what needs to be done.

WhiteGP

Reaction score
Well, an interesting surprise, pulled the intake / valley pan and seem to have a clean freshly Red painted block ( heads are orange ) sooo looks like the lower end has been worked on, now i wonder if the cam is not a single bolt but a 3 bolt? I bought the 1 bolt timing chain, MIGHT need to have a 3 bolt handy and return whichever is not needed, timing chain replacement Sept 9. Looks like very little wear on the cam, pulling the pushrods today to check them, if I need one i will have to measure since I see 2 sizes listed for sale purporting to be STOCK ball / ball, Elgin at 9.297 and Melling at 9.315 New rockers, gaskets etc here tomorrow, this is here today Edelbrock 71933 Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake Manifolds | Summit Racing Will go nicely with the black Mopar valve covers and air cleaner :) Hope the wifey doesnt see the fed-ex guy today

IMG_2971.JPG

Xcudame

Reaction score
Someone did a lot of extra work on that block! I think Melling made their pushrods longer to help compensate for the thicker after market composite gaskets.

WhiteGP

Reaction score
Someone did a lot of extra work on that block! I think Melling made their pushrods longer to help compensate for the thicker after market composite gaskets.
Makes sense Thanks, Pushrods look OK, rockers look worn, Yea, some work has been done for sure, after pulling the rockers the keepers on springs look new

WhiteGP

Reaction score
Hey Xcudame, this doesn't seem right to me, the pushrods are solid? no oil hole, although the rockers were getting plenty of oil in the rocker bottom from the shaft, wonder if this could be all the noise ?

This could be OK but just not what I was expecting to see, any input ?

IMG_2974.JPG

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
rockers look worn
Lets see a picture of the rockers.
There is a thing call valve train geometry. There are shims to Aline the rockers to to valves. Don't know if that is the problem. Someone didn't follow through with the build? Some builder here might know better.

WhiteGP

Reaction score
Lets see a picture of the rockers.
There is a thing call valve train geometry. There are shims to Aline the rockers to to valves. Don't know if that is the problem. Someone didn't follow through with the build? Some builder here might know better.
Thanks, I have a NEW set of rockers from 440source, I will look into the geometry thing. Yea, I'm a bit suspect of this. When you say shim do you mean the washers between the valves? Those are in place and I have new ones with the new rockers. I did not expect to see solid pushrods tho ?

Xcudame

Reaction score
There are shims for the valve springs to ensure that the valves, valve keepers and retainer gives the correct valve spring installed height.
With the factory stamped rocker arms, shimming between the posts and rocker shafts is needed sometimes for high lift camshafts. Stamped factory rocker arms are fine for ~.500" lift. Bigger camshafts (above .500" lift) really need adjustable rockers to maintain proper rocker geometry. From the one picture with a few of the liters showing, I'm not seeing a crazy highlight camshaft.
By the way, all Chrysler V8s had solid pushrods until the 5.2/5.9 Magnum engines. Even the mighty slant 6 had solid pushrods (and solid lifters) for the longest time until the factory used a hollow pushrod to convert the slant 6 to hydraulic lifters!!
I think your new rocker arms will solve a lot of your issues.

WhiteGP

Reaction score
There are shims for the valve springs to ensure that the valves, valve keepers and retainer gives the correct valve spring installed height.
With the factory stamped rocker arms, shimming between the posts and rocker shafts is needed sometimes for high lift camshafts. Stamped factory rocker arms are fine for ~.500" lift. Bigger camshafts (above .500" lift) really need adjustable rockers to maintain proper rocker geometry. From the one picture with a few of the liters showing, I'm not seeing a crazy highlight camshaft.
By the way, all Chrysler V8s had solid pushrods until the 5.2/5.9 Magnum engines. Even the mighty slant 6 had solid pushrods (and solid lifters) for the longest time until the factory used a hollow pushrod to convert the slant 6 to hydraulic lifters!!
I think your new rocker arms will solve a lot of your issues.
Well again thanks for the education, I have not worked on engines for years ( you think? ) so please excuse all of the questions ( and thanks for the answers !!) The cam is pretty mild i'm sure. I love wrenching on this car every day, It just doesn't run like my V code did so that bothers me and I want to get that fixed...Small steps but we will get there... Retired life has me going in new directions with too much time on my hands :cool:

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Hi

You know I have no Idea, Got the car 4 months ago and it had a fresh oil change, The guy I bought it from is a MOPAR guy and I would think its 20w40 with Zinc ( I verified the zinc ) I have a bottle of zinc on the shelf, I have under 50 miles on the car since I got it. I think I will run some engine flush and change today like mentioned in the other thread. I plan to run Castrol GTX Classic High Zinc 20w50 but dont have any on hand. I'm a fan of GTX.

Thanks !
Can’t you ask the previous owner what was done to the engine? Obviously it’s been rebuilt.

WhiteGP

Reaction score
Well good news, I replaced the rockers and the motor is dead quiet from valve noise, the old ones must have been totally worn out.

Thanks Everyone

Back