• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

E Body Door Hinge Spring Install

Surfcuda

Reaction score
Hi All, I actually installed my new Door Hinge Spring without removing the door or scratching the paint. I should patent this tool I made 😂. I took about an 18” 1/4” rod and notched it about 1/2” from the end. This notch held the spring in place. Then I bent the rod to slip in and hold the spring. Then put another bend to get some leverage. I used a long thin pair of vice grips to hold and keep the spring in the door hinge notch. Then leveraged the spring over the spring catch. Crazy but it worked and didn’t have to remove the door. Here are a few photos to help understand my gibberish.

IMG_0491.jpeg

IMG_0492.jpeg

IMG_0494.jpeg

IMG_0495.jpeg

IMG_0496.jpeg

moparleo

Reaction score
Bravo !Good job installing it on the car.
Just a little advice. These are torsion springs and scratches/gouges can cause a stress/weak spot.
I have done many over the years with a thin, crow bar, Same thing, has a curve on one end to pt pressure on the round tip of the spring.
That was not a very good quality spring that you used either, sorry.
This is one of mine. Custme made, heavy duty.
Compare the notches in yours and mine.
1724962435461.png

Last edited:

Surfcuda

Reaction score
Bravo !
Just a little advice. These are torsion springs and scratches/gouges can cause a stress/weak spot.
I have done many over the years with a thin, crow bar, Same thing, has a curve on one end to pt pressure on the round tip of the spring.
That was not a very good quality spring that you used either, sorry.
This is one of mine. Custme made, heavy duty.
Compare the notches in yours and mine.
View attachment 128515
Thanks for the advice! The Spring was a Classic Industries ORE part, probably from China. If it fails I will be contacting you about your custom made Springs.🏝

Back