• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Help on transmission decode. One mystery leads to another.

Matt L.

Reaction score
I was musing as to whether the floor pans were original in my Cuda. Turns out they are not and it was involved in an accident somewhere along its path to me. As you can see on the door code, the door is from what appears to be from a N0B car, or N is a 383 car built in 1970 in the Hamtrack plant. Is this correct?

This led to another mystery as to decoding the transmission. The numbers are associated with the first transmission (0001) being built on the date 3465, or January 22, 1971 at the Syracuse, NY plant (PP). However, as you can see, there's no serial number on the transmission housing. Can anyone describe how/why this would be and if my decode is correct? Is it possible they just missed it when building this car?

Thanks for any help/advice.

IMG_1452.jpeg

IMG_1451.jpeg

IMG_1453.jpeg

IMG_1455.jpeg

IMG_1433.jpeg

IMG_1434.jpeg

IMG_1428.jpeg

IMG_1450.jpeg

IMG_1448.jpeg

IMG_1447.jpeg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
As for the trans It could have been damaged with the floor pans & replaced from Mopar parts through a dealer thus no Vin .

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
BS23N0B152165 Door sticker
BS23H1B290262 Fender tag

More information is needed.

N does equal a four barrel 383.
H is a 340 four barrel.

What do the two stamped areas show?
The cowl and the radiator support.

003.JPG

002.JPG

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
You can get a new door sticker to match the dash and title vin,if they match. ECS can make you one up.

Last edited:

Matt L.

Reaction score
The big one is the title and dash vin. do they match? Don't show the title just confirm.
My ex-wife took the title during the divorce and I never got it. I had to get a replacement title and it has the same VIN number as what is on the dash.

Is there any way to get a copy of the original title?

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
My ex-wife took the title during the divorce and I never got it. I had to get a replacement title and it has the same VIN number as what is on the dash.

Is there any way to get a copy of the original title?
Something in the back of my mind was telling something like that. No title.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
A few girlfriends that I had would always suggest selling the car so we had more money. Right! Well their long gone but I still have my Challenger!
My better 7/8 (Angel ) never ever ask me to. Because she lost her 72 in a divorce 40 yrs +.

Last edited:

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
This is the proof that the body is BS23H1B290262. Post a picture of your Dash VIN (rosette-riveted to the dashpad, driver's side).
Summary:
Body is real 1971 Cuda 340 but was originally GF7 - Sherwood GREEN. Fender tag is original (plenty of details confirming that in your picture) and a 4-Speed, 3.55 Sure-Grip axle, Rallye instruments, non-console car, black buckets, tinted glass, dual-chrome mirrors, variable-speed wipers, hood pins, Calif emissions, and AM/FM thumbwheel radio. Quite a car!
Replacement title matches Dash VIN and Body VIN.
Just needs a repro Door VIN decal to round out the VINs.

Matt L.

Reaction score
This is the proof that the body is BS23H1B290262. Post a picture of your Dash VIN (rosette-riveted to the dashpad, driver's side).
Summary:
Body is real 1971 Cuda 340 but was originally GF7 - Sherwood GREEN. Fender tag is original (plenty of details confirming that in your picture) and a 4-Speed, 3.55 Sure-Grip axle, Rallye instruments, non-console car, black buckets, tinted glass, dual-chrome mirrors, variable-speed wipers, hood pins, Calif emissions, and AM/FM thumbwheel radio. Quite a car!
I thought I found a build date of February if I recall, but this was years ago. With the transmission date of January 22nd, 1971, that would coincide with it being built in the right timeframe. It's quite a mystery.

Maybe I could sell the transmission to a Hemi car and they could stamp their VIN on it to make a "numbers matching" Hemi CUDA. LOL.

Thanks for the info MoparCG.

Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 12.03.29 AM.png

Matt L.

Reaction score
Summary:
MPC, is this indicative of the true numbers of the vehicles with the AM/FM thumbwheel radio and the 3.55 Sure-grip axle?

Why was the Sure-grip so rare?

Screenshot 2024-09-16 at 12.54.01 AM.png

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Yes, R35 AM/FM and R36 AM w/tape deck radios were expensive. Sure-Grip was an expensive option as well so it many did not order it.
1971 Barracuda Pocket Salemans Guide (8).jpg

1971 Barracuda Pocket Salemans Guide (5).jpg

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Additionally, the Door VIN decal cannot be confirmed for the month. Based on your Scheduled Production Date (SPD) of 209 (February 9, 1971), the actual build date could either be January or February 1971. Many cars are built earlier than SPD or later than SPD. This is the dilemma when the original Door VIN decal is missing.
Your car's Door VIN decal was could have been either 1 - 71 or 2 - 71. Without more information, most will purchased a repro Door VIN decal with the actual SPD month, in this case 2 - 71.

More info might be out there on your car's assembly line timeline. 6bblgt on the E-Bodies.org forum may be able to assist with info.

Back