• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Help with Vin Number

1moretoy

Reaction score
Hello all, can anyone help me identify if these stamps are legit. The only one I'm really questioning is the engine block stamp. It looks as though the last digit (3) was stamped twice. Other than that everything matches from what I can tell. I don't have the build tag on the fender as the car was painted and lost at some point from what I was told. Is there any way to check the history of the car? Carfax doesn't go that far back does it? How can I break down my vin to check the factory options?

Dash plate
Radiator support
Cowl
Trans
Engine Block

Am I missing anything else?

20240507_201005.jpg

20240507_201025.jpg

20240507_201335.jpg

20240507_201433.jpg

20240507_201451_001.jpg

20240507_201500.jpg

20240507_201529.jpg

Xcudame

Reaction score
Yes, it's a numbers matching car and typical of LA to switch the "0" and "E" on the radiator support and cowl body stampings. And the double strike on the engine block is common because that high nickel cast iron is hard material! It's also helpful to have the door sticker that lists the VIN, but these were painted over/removed quite often on 50 year old cars.

1moretoy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Unfortunately I started the hellcat swap before I even checked this out. The gentleman I purchased it from didnt know much about the car. The person he got it from had the car for almost 30 yrs I'm told. That being said I didn't think anything of it. Is it more valuable being a numbers matching? It's just a 318 with a slapstick 3spd.

Xcudame

Reaction score
I would keep the original 318 and transmission since you have them and stash them in the corner and build it how you want.

1moretoy

Reaction score
I would keep the original 318 and transmission since you have them and stash them in the corner and build it how you want.
That's what I was thinking. Anyway to trace the actual history of the car or get a fender tag?

1moretoy

Reaction score
Yes, it's a numbers matching car and typical of LA to switch the "0" and "E" on the radiator support and cowl body stampings. And the double strike on the engine block is common because that high nickel cast iron is hard material! It's also helpful to have the door sticker that lists the VIN, but these were painted over/removed quite often on 50 year old cars.
I have the door sticker too.

IMG-20240508-WA0005.jpg

Xcudame

Reaction score
Personally, I think a good restomod Hellcat would be worth more than a numbers machining 318 car, but keep all the original drivetrain and documentation in place.

In my opinion, if you have the build sheet, a Fender Tag can be reproduced. Otherwise it's really difficult and sketchy.

JDMopar

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about the fender tag if it's going to be a restomod. LA cars rarely, if ever had build sheets left in them, so getting an accurate tag made would be dang near impossible. Maybe get one of those custom ones and make it "Hellcat Prototype" or something to that effect. I never put the fender tag back on my 71 Challenger convertible since it doesn't resemble how it came originally. I have thought about getting a custom fender tag that reads MYOFB....lol. A lot of people will look for the tag, and then grumble if it isn't there.

1moretoy

Reaction score
Personally, I think a good restomod Hellcat would be worth more than a numbers machining 318 car, but keep all the original drivetrain and documentation in place.

In my opinion, if you have the build sheet, a Fender Tag can be reproduced. Otherwise it's really difficult and sketchy.
What are hellcat swapped E bodies selling for? I definitely don't see many of them.

Xcudame

Reaction score
I think there's one coming up for sale at the Mecum auction. Might be worth keeping an eye on.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Did you look for the broadcast sheet? I would say it is a good number. I have double bumped on things that are hard.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Your VIN of JH23G0E114143 for an LA-built Challenger would ballpark your Scheduled Production Date (SPD) as late-October. SPD would be approximately A23 (October 23rd, 1969). Below are the closest fender tags to your VIN sequential number 114143 that I have in my collection of images. Others on this forum may have an LA tag closer to yours to assist in narrowing it down further.

We can assist with configuring a repro fender tag if by some miracle you find a Broadcast Sheet somewhere in the car's interior. Search inside the springs of the rear seatback, passenger seat backs, above your glovebox insert, and even under the carpet.

Your decision on whether it is worth it to go to the trouble of configuring and getting a repro fender tag made.

113614_JS29N0E.jpg

115053_JS29U0E.jpg

Last edited:

Xcudame

Reaction score
While broadcast sheets were rare in LA built cars, I see to remember that about 10% had them. Figures crossed for you.

Back