• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

K-Frame bolts Help

SFEbody

Reaction score
Woking on my 70 Barracuda. Going trough all the bolts to retorque after putting 500 miles on her, Has anyone modified the K frame bolts? I cannot tighten the front two to 145 foot pounds as it seems the nuts inside the frame rail are turning, Almost feels like the bolt is ready to snap but I am sure it is the nut breaking loose inside the frame rail. I am afraid to torque any more as it could snap something,

Any suggestions?

Xcudame

Reaction score
Most likely the spot welds on the nuts inside the frame rail have broken loose. Are you a decent welder? You can drill holes in the frame rail right next to the captured nuts and re-weld them. And then weld up the holes.
Additionally, if you have over 100 FT-LBS torque now, I seriously doubt they're going anywhere.

SFEbody

Reaction score
Most likely the spot welds on the nuts inside the frame rail have broken loose. Are you a decent welder? You can drill holes in the frame rail right next to the captured nuts and re-weld them. And then weld up the holes.
Additionally, if you have over 100 FT-LBS torque now, I seriously doubt they're going anywhere.
Thanks ex Cuda over my problem is the frame rails are completely painted and detail just like the rest of the car. Was hopeful I wouldn’t have to cut into them in patch and paint. Do you know if anybody’s put a bolt all the way through the frame rail?

Xcudame

Reaction score
You could run a trough bolt I guess, but you'd have to add a tube (welded) to keep from squishing the frame rails. Be better to a few holes underneath to weld the nut back and then grind smooth and repaint. The cross member (K-Frame) will cover most if not all of your repair.

SFEbody

Reaction score
You could run a trough bolt I guess, but you'd have to add a tube (welded) to keep from squishing the frame rails. Be better to a few holes underneath to weld the nut back and then grind smooth and repaint. The cross member (K-Frame) will cover most if not all of your repair.
Well since I have the QA1 setup the blue circle shows where the front bolt goes, not much coverage on the frame rail.

Hemi2.jpg

Back