• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need some input?

E

EricW

Has anyone, or know anyone, who has tried a GearVendors unit. I have a 727 with a TF2 shift kit, 8-3/4 S.G. rear w/3.55 gears. Has anyone had any problems or concerns with this?

Would love to have an OD in my 73 Dart. Would prefer NOT to do surgery to fit a bigger trans in the tunnel. THe GV seems like it would be a good upgrade (3 gears to six with an OD) and more affordable than one of those Keisler kits. And certainly don't want to put a GM trans in my car.

I have a 741 case and they only make 3.55 and 3.73 gears for it. I looked at their gear chart and in the 3rd over a 3.55 reduces to 2.77, that would be perfect for me with the longer trips.

THanks guys, all input is appreciated on installation, driveshaft angles, or electrical?

Cranky

Reaction score
Never heard anything bad about the GV unit but don't recall if they fit without floor mods. How much are they these days? I know you could buy a lot of gas for what they cost when I checked into them lol. What I did for long trips was to just swap out the 3.91's for a 2.76 and got good enough to do it in less than 35 minutes....

BIGSHCLUNK

Reaction score
GV is good stuff from what I've read. Some floor mods required. But 6... no(assuming your thinking split shifting) 4yes. That split shift stuff just dont work. Read carlwalskis post on C-C for a complete blow by blow.............

I'm currently running 3.23's but will go 3.91 when I do the change...

KEISLER

Reaction score
You can purchase our A41 kit without the transmission, and source a used 4L60E locally if you want to save $$. Yes, it is a Hydramatic built unit originally, but all of our parts are for Mopar, and IT FITS!

moper

Reaction score
Yeah, the split shift controller is simply not very good. I love the G and would use them when cruising on the highway is a prerequisite. The only mod to the floor was a simple dent. Invisible under the carpet.

E

EricW

Well, I decided to go back to my origional idea and use the A518 trans. Got one already from a 98 Dakota. Gonna have it rebuilt and make a new xmbr.
THanks anyway guys.

Supershafts

Reaction score
I have 3 of them.... over 20 years...

you can split shift gears

The reason i bought the 1st one over 20 years ago.

That is in my truck behind a np435 and np205, back then there were no od's and the only other option was doug nash that didn't feel comfortable with the motor and the use of the truck pulling..
It cured the big gear split in the np435 between 3rd and 4th and paid for itself in less than a year in gas savings, 22 years ago
Then i got another for the RR, which was it's od and worked perfect at the track for splitting 2nd gear.

Then yet another for the magnum....

If you can't split gears you got issues and should park it and walk, i go up the gears and split each one and down and never wait or lose the power band, if you listened you would think my truck has a close ratio 7 spd trans, thats with a stick and without using the clutch... auto is easy

After owning 3 i became a dealer for them and instal.
The A bodies, some need a little hammering around the planetary to tail housing section, some don't...
there seems to be some differences in the floors.
Shaft needs to be shortened and i recommend to my customers might as well lose the additional weight and put a AL shaft in also..

moper

Reaction score
Super, the selling point my customer got was that the gear splitting will happen on it's own. The controller flat out doesnt work. So yeah, gears can be split manually, which is what you're talking about. But in terms of leaving it in drive and letting the controller do it, you're right. You're better getting out and walking. I havent found I needed to split gears. I just needed OD for cruising. So that's what I sell it as. Push button, indestructable, OD.

ramenth

Reaction score
Okay, guys, clue me in. How's the manual split happen with this particular unit? Splittin' gears is no big deal, I've driven tractor trailers. Is there a button used for splitting on this unit? After checking out GV's website I'm liking the looks of this to back up the NV4500 going in my Ford. (No boo-ing, please.)

moper

Reaction score
The GV is an electrically shifted gear set. So, you can split them just like the multi-speed axles, meaning flip a switch and bang, it's 1+GV, flip it back and shift it's 2, flip it back its 2+GV, etc. They have an electric control that's supposed to recognize the gear and rpm and switch it on and off by itself. It doesnt work. So for me, it's a simple on or off. No controller. Excellent part, and IMO much cheaper and easier than any aftermarket OD trans or mods to fit a factory 4sp auto. But, it's not a magic six speed. It's a push button OD.

ramenth

Reaction score
That's what I figured on the split set up. Just wanted to know how it was accomplished. Thanks for the heads up on it.

Supershafts

Reaction score
it's hyd, and it's done with a solenoid opening or closing the passage to engage the planetary clutch....

When you want to you throw the toggle and you split that gear if auto, if it's a stick you do it between gears..

Back