• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

CudaGal

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! I just lost my dad in February so I know how bad that can be and you have my heartfelt condolences.
I really do appreciate that. Thank you. We were very close, which is probably why the cuda doesn't run now. I always came first to him. My condolences to you as well. It's a hard time to go through.

CudaGal

Reaction score
Sorry for the loss of your dad.
I have spent the last 2.5 years restoring a 71 Hemicuda so have gathered a lot of knowledge. I am in Northeast Ohio if I can be of any assistance, just let me know.
Oh, that would be awesome!! If there's another car that he would have wanted, it was the 71 convertible version of his. I'm not sure where to even start on getting it going again.

CudaGal

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Michigan! As others have said, you also have my condolences for the loss of your Dad. My recommendation is to find a trustworthy mechanic to evaluate your Cuda to see what needs to be done to get it back on the road. Get some references.
Do you have any recommendations on mechanics I might be able to use? I do feel that I am behind the eight ball already, by not knowing much about it. And I don't know anyone that has experience with this type of car, and I realize that's a 'must' when it comes to restoring them.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
As far as getting it back on the road.Right now don't even try to start it. Even if your father came to you in a dream. said: it will be ok. Sorry about the reference but it is serious. This is a one trick pony and it can get to be a very expensive repair. Start cleaning it up inside and out. Then you will see what needs to be addressed. There are a few basic things that any mechanic can check and resolve. That would be brakes, tires, exhaust, fluid changes,U joints and suspension to be check. Bad shocks,bushings or weak rusted components.
Then the transmission being an automatic some would say tear it down and rebuild. That may or may not be the case. Transmission seals do go bad and leak. Myself I would change the filter and fluid. Then if there is a problem with it shifting or other. I would put Seafoam trans tune in. I'm not a snake oil guy but I can't count how many time it worked. From transmissions sitting things inside tend to gum up and stick.
Then there is the motor to be contended with.This will take a versed mopar mechanic. Not knowing if it stock. If the car was started from time to time that is a + or even just turned over. IF NOT. At a minimum the valve covers need to be removed and inspect the valve train. For weak or broken springs from being in the same position for a long time. As far as the intake I would wait and see what is found inside from change the oil and inspecting the top end. The motor will have to be turned over by hand to find the oil gallery ports for each side.
Then this is a must before it is turned over to do a compression test or start.

I have done all my mechanical on all my cars for decades they only go to the garage for inspection. Only for state inspection that is required by law. I was a machinist a few years on all forms of motors. Cars to Cats, Detroit, Komatsu, Cummins and others. So by all means take your time and check out the condition. I know you will your a smart girl that's why you here.

I know there are others versed on all thesis matters more than me.

Last edited:

hdwrench

Reaction score
welcome to febo . condolyon your father’s passing. he left you a wonderful car i’m sure you will be a great caregiver of it . if you have a chance to get the car rolling and take it outside . give it a good wash and clean up the interior. i would the take a bunch of pictures, for reference on the whole car as is . the vin plate, fender tag included. some would suggest you pull up the rear lower seat and look for the original broadcast sheet ( unless your farther already had it stored )! these pics and documentation can help in many ways . it’s a good place to start bringing it to life .

Xcudame

Reaction score
CudagGal, thanks for sharing the picture. Just at a glance it is in decent shape! Like Challenger RTA said, start with a good car wash. You can check the fluids yourself. Transmission should be in good shape. It's the toughest transmission ever and even if it leaked a little, it would still work. The engine is the biggest concern because if it wasn't turned over periodically, damage to the valve train, again like Challenger RTA said.

Start another post in the "Restoration" section and start posting photos of what the brake fluid, coolant, motor oil and transmission fluid looks like. We can tell a lot from that! Also, go slow and ask lots of questions. We're here to help.

Your father was a very smart man putting you before his car! The Hemicuda can be brought back. And leaving the car to you must have special meaning to him and you!

If you can, block out the last few digits of the VIN and VON on the fender tag and post a picture. I circled them in the attached photo of my 70 Challenger Fender Tag (they're in the lower right hand corner of the tag). This will help us determine the value.

IMG_20240417_071410544 (1).jpg

swatdoc

Reaction score
Sorry, to hear of your dad's passing. It does suck as you get issued one, and we lucky ones that our Dads thought enough of us to leave their cars too. Welcome..
Hello all!
I've recently joined the group, and I'm really just looking for some information, and possibly some reliable resources. My dad owned a 1970 Hemi Cuda. It's been in the garage my entire life, and I've never heard it run. My dad recently passed away, and unfortunately, I don't know a whole lot about this car. I know it is an original, and it ran when he parked it 30+ years ago. He told me several years ago that it would need some work to get it on the road. I would like to get it fixed up and running again. However, I am in no way mechanically inclined, and I don't know the first step to take in order to get it going. Truthfully, I don't even know how much this car is worth. I've had people tell me anything from 75K to 250K. So I'm really just looking for a point in the right direction.

Thanks!
CudaG

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Here is a link to find the vin locations and explanation. The are also a number on the motor and transmission. just a littler harder to see. As someone said take pictures to document. For now keep it undisclosed. One other thing. Don't put a battery in it yet until it is gone over. I will explain later. E-Body VIN Numbers (page 1)

Last edited:

gran coupe john

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO from south central Ohio. I also have a Barracuda my father sold me before he retired. They are special memories. Wish he was here.

340challconvert

Reaction score
CudaGal
Sorry for your loss
:welcome:to FEBO from New Jersey
Very valuable car you have there
Good people here who are aways willing to help!

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome to the site! Sorry to hear of your your loss.
Incredible car👍🏻👍🏻

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
This is why I was saying not to put a battery in it. Read the post that is here it shows the issue.One Terminal Melted in Firewall Junction Block 1 the bulkhead connectors. This shows where there probably is a problem at the very lest check it for now. 2 Hi low foot switch for the headlights it also melts from prolong use. 3 the heater switch it also melts over a longer period of time of use. Here again there will be other electrical issues that will come to light as used. They are more so nuisance issues that can be resolved with a little know how. Most mechanic would or should have knowledge of basic electricity. It's more so where to look. The one preventive step is to clean and apply dielectric grease. The other that might have to be done is replace the harness. The problem with that is the problem is still there. It's the design of the connectors need to be maintained and not overloaded. There is a fix for that should and could be done on a new or older harness. It's an alternator bypass. Not that has to been done now or later. The 1st problem the bulkhead connector is the one that is most important. If you go to unplug it and it won't come apart it is more than likely burnt. The second one the foot switch is an easy fix replacing the plug. And a fix for that would be a relay circuit.
Doing the modifications could deter from the valve depending how it is done. But it is a safe guard from the car burning to the ground. Don't take this as if the car is going to explode if you put a battery in it. Needs to be looked at before you turn any thing on.
There are members here more than willing and knowledgeable to answer any question.

Last edited:

Xcudame

Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I'm my guy tells me this is pretty much an unmolested original Hemicuda and Challenger RTA's advice is spot on. Don't be afraid of it, but for now treat it like one of those hollowed out egg shells painted and made into an ornament. Go slow and methodical and you cannot take enough photos of everything.

Back