• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New seals and gaskets , break in or run it .

7DCUDA383A

Reaction score
My 383 is getting all new gaskets , seals and hoses , also getting the headers painted . Any break in needed , nothing major done just getting the leaks taken care of and refreshed , from trans , oil pan , valve covers , manifold and new water pump .

moparlee

Reaction score
If you have not done any engine internal mechanical work there is no need to do any kind of break in. Just drive it like you normally would and check for any leaks.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Fire her up and drive her like you stole her! 😁

Seriously, start up and run a bout ten minutes or so checking for any leaks. If none noted, take a short drive and then check for leaks a second time. No leaks? You're good to go.

7DCUDA383A

Reaction score
Fire her up and drive her like you stole her! 😁

Seriously, start up and run a bout ten minutes or so checking for any leaks. If none noted, take a short drive and then check for leaks a second time. No leaks? You're good to go.
a local shop is doing the work , just wondering the rules for all new gaskets and stuff .

moparleo

Reaction score
Rule number one. Never completely trust anyone or anything.
I never assume anything. Recheck the hose clamps and any lines that have a fluid in them wit a screw driver/wrench as needed.
Drive it, After a few hundred miles I would go over the whole thing with a wrench.
Fasteners will expand and contract with temperature changes. Also gaskets will tend to compress a little.
And you will get a good look at everything while you do this.
Enjoy.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Yikes! If someone else done the work and he's not a good buddy you trust, Moparleo is right, check clamps and fasteners that could leak fluids! Hopefully the guy does great work and you're OK. If running an aluminum intake manifold, check the bolts after a couple heat cycles. Valve cover screws like to loosen sometimes but I just use a screw diver socket to re-tighten those.

7DCUDA383A

Reaction score
Yikes! If someone else done the work and he's not a good buddy you trust, Moparleo is right, check clamps and fasteners that could leak fluids! Hopefully the guy does great work and you're OK. If running an aluminum intake manifold, check the bolts after a couple heat cycles. Valve cover screws like to loosen sometimes but I just use a screw diver socket to re-tighten those.
They seem reputable , the guy doing the work has worked on a Roadrunner with his Uncle , it's easy work but takes some time , will definitely check it myself .

Back