• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Noob with question

greatscot3

Reaction score
Hello

I've owned a 1970 slant six Challenger for about 16 years and have never seen another one. Does anyone have any idea how many are left?
I have no intention of ever selling it or cloning it. It has a numbers matching engine but added some Clifford goodies to it because I kept cracking the old exhaust manifolds. Really like this old car but wonder if there are many left.

Jon S.

Last edited:

6packcuda

Reaction score
I don't know the answer to your question but I think it's cool that you're leaving the /6 in there. Got any more pictures of the car?

beepahh

Reaction score
actually i have seen a few of them at the mopar nationals in carsile and in ohio...and many cloned.....there are enough wrong cars out there...

ramenth

Reaction score
Considering the slant was the base engine for the Challenger I suppose they and 318 powered cars were plentiful back in the day. When my dad went looking for an E-body he had a chance to buy a '70 slant six Plum Crazy Challenger that was so far gone the owner offered up the '74 Barracuda I've got instead.
Can't really answer as to how many are left, but as has been pointed out these are the cars that get cloned or parted out to help the big muscle brothers. The fact that you're leaving it the slant is awesome!

greatscot3

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words.
I really like the car the way it is too. Not that I care what other people think too much but I get lots of comments when I take it places and 90% of the comments by people are that they like it the way it is too and not to clone it. I've even kept all the old intake and exhaust crap that came off of it.
It gets great mileage even with the Holley 390 and the headers and custom dual exhaust makes it sound like a pissed off bumblebee on the freeway.
It keeps up with everyone else going 80 or 90 mph without having to keep my foot in it which is a little surprising. 120 mph is no problem and it might even go faster.
I've got a '73 Cuda that I'm cloning into a real street gorilla (440, NOS, Tremec etc.). It used to be a 318 car and for some reason I don't feel guilty at all about hacking it up. Makes it lots easier to keep the little fart Challenger as a slant six but I wouldn't ever do that to it anyway.
Only original once as they say but I still have little or no idea how rare it is. I read somewhere that there were 9929 '70 slant six Challengers made so you are right, there were a lot of them around at one time. The rarity of the more desirable ones probably has driven a lot of the cloning and still does. Even the 318 Cudas are getting rarer because the 318 was just so lame. Give me a 340 over a 318 any day.
Thanks again.

ramenth

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words.
I really like the car the way it is too. Not that I care what other people think too much but I get lots of comments when I take it places and 90% of the comments by people are that they like it the way it is too and not to clone it. I've even kept all the old intake and exhaust crap that came off of it.
It gets great mileage even with the Holley 390 and the headers and custom dual exhaust makes it sound like a pissed off bumblebee on the freeway.
It keeps up with everyone else going 80 or 90 mph without having to keep my foot in it which is a little surprising. 120 mph is no problem and it might even go faster.
I've got a '73 Cuda that I'm cloning into a real street gorilla (440, NOS, Tremec etc.). It used to be a 318 car and for some reason I don't feel guilty at all about hacking it up. Makes it lots easier to keep the little fart Challenger as a slant six but I wouldn't ever do that to it anyway.
Only original once as they say but I still have little or no idea how rare it is. I read somewhere that there were 9929 '70 slant six Challengers made so you are right, there were a lot of them around at one time. The rarity of the more desirable ones probably has driven a lot of the cloning and still does. Even the 318 Cudas are getting rarer because the 318 was just so lame. Give me a 340 over a 318 any day.
Thanks again.

Seems to me that you're doing what I've noticed in the hobby lately. Working with what's there. I was at a local show a couple of weeks ago and liked what I saw (with the exception of a '53 Ford with a smallblock Chevy in it): guys hot rodding what's already there. A lot of slant six cars were around, a lot of GM and Ford six cylinders still in place in cars from the '50s and '60s, a lot of hot rodded flat heads.
As you say 90% of people at the car shows like what you're doing. Let me guess, the other 10% are saying "dude, drop a Hemi in it..." I get the same thing with my F250. I could restore the truck if I had a dime for every time I heard someone tell me to pull the 300 and drop in a 460...

mike

Reaction score
welcome to FEBO, and i respect the fact that your willing to leave the slant six in your chally

greatscot3

Reaction score
Slanted Challenger

Seems to me that you're doing what I've noticed in the hobby lately. Working with what's there. I was at a local show a couple of weeks ago and liked what I saw (with the exception of a '53 Ford with a smallblock Chevy in it): guys hot rodding what's already there. A lot of slant six cars were around, a lot of GM and Ford six cylinders still in place in cars from the '50s and '60s, a lot of hot rodded flat heads.
As you say 90% of people at the car shows like what you're doing. Let me guess, the other 10% are saying "dude, drop a Hemi in it..." I get the same thing with my F250. I could restore the truck if I had a dime for every time I heard someone tell me to pull the 300 and drop in a 460...

Yeah, every time someone tells me to drop a hemi in it I tell them I already have a big ****. (along the lines of well endowed)
Gets me a laugh almost every time and **** the rest of them. :D

ramenth

Reaction score
Yeah, every time someone tells me to drop a hemi in it I tell them I already have a big ****. (along the lines of well endowed)
Gets me a laugh almost every time and **** the rest of them. :D

I tell that to guys when they pick on the size of my tool box. A little MAC Economizer and cart. I tell the guys with big tool boxes that I don't have to compensate for anything :D

Back