• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Oil filter leak question

gran coupe john

Reaction score
Finally got the 318 running. Has not ran since 98. Having issues getting the oil filter to seal? On second filter. Any suggestions, or a good filter?? Am I getting dry rotted bubber seal?

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
After you remove the filter look at the part that the filter screws onto, if you look closely you will see there is a hex part near the base. You use a wrench and unscrew it, then remove the plate (which might need to be pried out). There are 2 gaskets, one under the plate and one under the bolt/bung that you removed (in the guys hand in the picture out on his fingers).

20140816_192801-jpg-205258-jpg.1715028059

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Only in a perfect world. I too had a problem when I was priming the motor. After a day of attempt after attempt I go it fixed. AND I ask myself. Self, How does something so simple take so long. Just spin a filter on!
1724808428234.jpeg

Last edited:

gran coupe john

Reaction score
Never in my life have I had a oil filter leak. And I change oil on all my vehicles. Lawn mowers, 4 wheeler, ect. Crazy

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
I thought I had an oil leak from my oil filter, turned out, It was the power steering pump leaking.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I just changed my oil in a 318 with the angled adapter and noticed the O ring on the old filter was missing. I checked the adapter and sure enough it was still there. It was in pretty tight and I needed a screwdriver to remove it. I learned that lesson in 1980, when the old O ring stayed on the adapter, from my new Honda Civic. My friend, the Service Manager, said it happened to a few of his guys, so always check that the old O ring comes off, or a leak will happen. That's how I learned.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Good point Tony! The stuck O-Ring is more common on small blocks from my experience. One O-Ring is good. Two O-Rings is a leak. I found this out many years ago when I changed the oil and filter on my Mom's Plymouth Valiant. Mom still chides me about that!

Back