• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

WTB on rally in dash tach

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdwrench

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Contact seller
i’m looking for a tach for a non rally dash , fits my 1974 barracuda. classic ind has a listing but out of stock . if you have one or no where i can buy one please lemme know …..

96B60F2B-2ECC-4457-8395-2BAF41EA6C9D.png

tonysrt

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were probably very rare on non rally dashes. Good luck with the search. I had a non rally dash in my car, 71 Cuda, and bought a 72 Challenger for the Rally dash and wiring for a $150. Unfortunately car was a rust bucket like most mopars in the mid 80's. I remember in the early 60's Mopar touting the galvanize dipping of the car bodies that was supposed to stop rusting. Just seemed the GM bodies weathered the storm better than Mopars. My daughter had a 69 Nova in 91 and had a lot less rust than the newer Mopars.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were probably very rare on non rally dashes.
Just FYI, tachs were never available on standard dashes. An optional clock filled that spot if ordered. All non rallye tachs were the creation of the aftermarket, not Ma Mopar.

hdwrench

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just FYI, tachs were never available on standard dashes. An optional clock filled that spot if ordered. All non rallye tachs were the creation of the aftermarket, not Ma Mopar.
gotcha . i think it will be a nice addition in my car . numbers matching is not in the game plan on this one . just a nice street cruiser .

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How eager are you? This one will cost ya. Even with the exchange it's about $250.00 USD then add credit card's cut and WORST of all they ship UPS so there's brokerage fees. I put one in my basket and it didn't come up as "Out Of Stock". I'd still call for 100% availability just to be sure, if you're interested.

You're right, it would be a nice addition. I've seen a picture where it was even moved closer to to the speedo but now your talking extra work.

hdwrench

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
How eager are you? This one will cost ya. Even with the exchange it's about $250.00 USD then add credit card's cut and WORST of all they ship UPS so there's brokerage fees. I put one in my basket and it didn't come up as "Out Of Stock". I'd still call for 100% availability just to be sure, if you're interested.

[/URL]

You're right, it would be a nice addition. I've seen a picture where it was even moved closer to to the speedo but now your talking extra work.
interesting i’ll check it out …. thanks!!!

hdwrench

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

hey, that’s a good idea moving the tack inward towards the speedometer. It wouldn’t take much to move the fuel gauge to the end basically just moving it and extending the wires and then the tach can go right next to the speedo. Cool idea thanks. It looks like an easy move. we checking on availability’s there today .

Last edited:

pschlosser

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen that far-right empty slot (where the optional clock goes on the standard dash) filled with a tachometer more often than I've seen OEM clocks in there. :)

For those who are really watching their tach for shift points near red line, I agree it is not an ideal location. I believe many feel closer to the center of the steering column seems ideal, if you get to choose where the tach is placed.

A decent electronic tachometer, in the two-inch size to fit in the clock bay of the dash, is going to be several hundred $$$ unless you can find a Chinese-made one that is accurate enough.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just a thought, but why not convert to a rallye dash.
The 72-74 dashes are easier to find then the 70-71 versions and a little less money!.
If you start moving gauges around, you would have to make some changes in the wiring anyway. Why pay $250 for a small tach when you probably could find the rallye dash parts for not too much more money.
Correct dash on ebay currently for your application;

MoPar 72 73 74 E Body Cuda Challenger Rallye Dash Cluster Plymouth Dodge 150 MPH | eBay

Just my thoughts!

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t forget to get the heater (or A/C) switch panel too, if you go that route. I’ve seen a few that didn’t bother and the crescent hole opening just looks like crap. I even had one non-Ebody guy ask me why Mopar designed that opening there.

pschlosser

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The factory-looking tachometer and better placement of the same, seems why many, many E-bodies owners have converted to rallye dashes over the years. I must admit, the rallye dash looks pretty cool compared to the standard.

hdwrench

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The factory-looking tachometer and better placement of the same, seems why many, many E-bodies owners have converted to rallye dashes over the years. I must admit, the rallye dash looks pretty cool compared to the standard.
agreed, unfortunately my74 was not a highly optioned car when ordered. i’ll keep watch for a rally dash , switch panel and wiring harness in the future
, hopefully it will have a useable black dash pad on it ! . as for now the non rally dash will get me down the road with or without a built in tach . classic ind . has a listing for the tach but on back order….

Last edited:

hdwrench

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

[/URL]

called early birds a bunch they never answered the phone, so we sent an email which they did reply to , they don’t ship to america. so the search continues… they did mention in there reply that they get the tach from classic ….

pschlosser

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there isn't a great demand for a small tachometer, which may be why a two-incher is so hard to find. But they are out there, and have application on motorcycles and scooters. I see small vintage tachometers selling for $$$ on epay, from time to time.

JDMopar

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i could locate one that functions AND comes with appropriate wiring harness i might consider it .from what i’ve read the wiring harness is different….
You don't need to change the wiring. All of the wires will work back, but you will need to run a wire for the tach. You will need to change the oil sending unit to one for a gauge instead of the light. I added Rallye gauges to my 71 Challenger conv that was a 318 car with standard dash. The biggest thing you will have to pay extra for is the dash light bar for a Rallye dash. It has 4 bulbs, where the standard dash has 3. I sent my Rallye cluster to Mike Mancini and had it restored and calibrated back around 1993. The cluster I sent was a 72-74 version, so I asked that they put an 8 grand face on the tach. They rebuilt the clock with quartz guts and it has worked perfect ever since.

pschlosser

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When running a tachometer to a standard dash, one wire will be missing, from the distributor to the tachometer. Easy enough for most to run for function. To add the whole rallye dash instrument cluster, as noted by @JDMopar there may be a few additional changes for the rallye dash cluster to function fully.

tonysrt

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought my 68 Road Runner new, I opted for the clock and put a Sun Tach on the steering column. Here's a muscle car with a second rate dashboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back