• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear end YOKE

douglas17

Reaction score
Wondering what the 2 digit number preceding the 072640, in my case 49 means as i see different numbers before 072640 when searching for a new yoke.
Is the 072640 always a 10 spline yoke?

123 (2).jpg

124 (2).jpg

125 (2).jpg

pschlosser

Reaction score
Are you thinking the "072640" is a partial Chrysler part number? I spent some time researching it, but could not find a correlation with part numbers in the 1968 parts book. This isn't conclusive, because often, the "casting number" of a part does not directly match the "part number" in the dealer parts book. Further, because the yoke is part of an assembly, it's individual part number is likely unlisted in the book.

Your 741 (1967-1969 A-body) differential came with the smallest yoke of the (common) three types (741, 742 & 489) of cases, and measures at 1-3/8. But it may have been changed by a prior owner, so you may need to inspect further.

As you may already know, there are two basic sizes of the rear differential yoke, the smaller 7260 (2-1/8 width) and the larger 7290 (with 2-5/8 opening).

Sadly, these can be found in both the 10-spline and 29-spline varieties.

I seem to recall the NUT within the yoke is larger on the 29-spline yokes, compared to the 10-spline. The size, I'm not certain, may be 1-1/8 compared to 1-1/4?

What is wrong with the yoke you have, now? If you're replacing it, go ahead and remove the nut, as you can then see the number of splines behind the lock washer.

Last edited:

douglas17

Reaction score
Are you thinking the "072640" is a partial Chrysler part number? I spent some time researching it, but could not find a correlation with part numbers in the 1968 parts book. This isn't conclusive, because often, the "casting number" of a part does not directly match the "part number" in the dealer parts book. Further, because the yoke is part of an assembly, it's individual part number is unlisted in the book.

Your 741 (1967-1969 A-body) differential came with the smallest yoke of the (common) three types (741, 742 & 489) of cases, and measures at 1-3/8. But it may have been changed by a prior owner, so you may need to inspect further.

As you may already know, there are two basic sizes of the rear differential yoke, the smaller 7260 (2-1/8 width) and the larger 7290 (with 2-5/8 opening).

Sadly, these can be found in both the 10-spline and 29-spline varieties.

I seem to recall the NUT within the yoke is larger on the 29-spline yokes, compared to the 10-spline. The size, I'm not certain, may be 1-1/8 compared to 1-1/14?

What is wrong with the yoke you have, now? If you're replacing it, go ahead and remove the nut, as you can then see the number of splines behind the lock washer.
I was just trying to narrow down the spline count with out tearing the old one apart first. The yoke is worn on the inside from the snap rings and the 1/2 round where the u joint cup sits is worn egg shaped. Found lots of yokes on the internet with the 072640, but then the two digits preceding it was all over the place. Need to move car in and out of garage so trying not to take apart without replacement. Oh well when in doubt tear it apart.
Tks for info and reply.

Mr Cuda

Reaction score
With the 41 case, you don't have to worry about bearing preload.
Pop that yoke off, and get a spline count.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I have this one available if you find yours is 10 spline. It appears to be unused.
IMG_8347.jpeg
IMG_8346.jpeg

Back